Navdy - Dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Navdy - never heard of it until a few days ago, seems to be heavilt promoted at the moment. It's popping up every few hours on my facebook feed and is being greeted with great enthusiasm by the public at large.

https://www.navdy.com/

It seems to me to be incredibly dangerous - is such a device legal in the UK?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm not a fan of communications technology for drivers, but If used for the majority of the stuff in the video I can't see it being particularly more dangerous than bluetooth systems in cars. I'd prefer to disable the texting/tweeting systems but the sat nav HUD would be reasonable compared to a unit stuck on the screen anyway, and the calls/radio stuff, although neither are safe activities behind the wheel, I'd prefer in some ways for the driver to have a HUD rather than reaching down into the middle of the car to press buttons.

Where it would become dangerous to me is if you could start streaming web pages/books to it. Do you really want someone driving along while reading the paper/a novel? Also if someone started streaming a film to it :eek:

With the texting/tweeting thing I think the driver would still be in deep trouble if it was found they had tweeted/texted while driving and were involved in an accident. It doesn't seem to stop people texting on handheld phones while driving though.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I'm not a fan of communications technology for drivers, but If used for the majority of the stuff in the video I can't see it being particularly more dangerous than bluetooth systems in cars. I'd prefer to disable the texting/tweeting systems but the sat nav HUD would be reasonable compared to a unit stuck on the screen anyway, and the calls/radio stuff, although neither are safe activities behind the wheel, I'd prefer in some ways for the driver to have a HUD rather than reaching down into the middle of the car to press buttons.

Where it would become dangerous to me is if you could start streaming web pages/books to it. Do you really want someone driving along while reading the paper/a novel? Also if someone started streaming a film to it :eek:

With the texting/tweeting thing I think the driver would still be in deep trouble if it was found they had tweeted/texted while driving and were involved in an accident. It doesn't seem to stop people texting on handheld phones while driving though.
I think I'm a bit behind the times with in car technology. I have a car stereo and a sat nav, but I don't fiddle with either of them while I'm driving, other than I may just press the off button on the stereo.
When I watched the recent dangerous drivers documentary I was quite shocked at how much people are using in car systems to text, phone, use facebook and twitter etc. Really shocked.

Last edited:

atbman

Veteran
Bearing in mind that all the research I've read of says that mobile use, whether handsfree or not, is at least as dangerous as being under the influence. In other words, it's not, in general, the dialling up of a number, but the distraction of the conversation which is the main danger.
In that case, having a HUD might well not substantially reduce the risk and might even worsen it. My hypothesis is that, since a phone call does not physically interfere with your vision in any way, having that distraction and visual one on top, even tho' you can see the road ahead could worsen someone's driving.

Davidc

Guru
It's a distraction so dangerous.

Anything more than a radio/ music player or voice only sat nav should IMO be illegal. This thing putting images and text where a driver needs to be concentrating on pedestrians, cyclists, other vehicles, obstructions and so on is horrific.

GrasB

Veteran
A vehicle HUD with all gauge information is great especially with speed limit & sat-nav instructions. Instead of looking down & refocusing your eyes you just re-focus. But a HUD for frivolous things like social networking?! WHAT THE F**K?!

stowie

Legendary Member
This stuff really worries me. It legitimises indulging in social media whilst driving a car which is one of the most complex tasks many of us do daily. It also worries me the glib way that this type of HUD is compared to an aircraft HUD; since they use it in aircraft, it must be safe right? I used to (a long time ago) have involvement in aircraft displays and HUD. The comparison is completely wrong. Firstly, the mechanics of this HUD is nowhere the same as on an aircraft, where the HUD display is focused at near infinity so the pilot's eyes don't need to refocus from the greater outside scene (first time you look at an aircraft HUD is weird, the graphics float somewhere in the distance). This car HUD says it is focused at around 6 feet, which is somewhere just at the end of the bonnet. So a driver will not be focused at the outside world where one would hope, in my opinion. This stuff might sound somewhat trivial, but since the idea of the HUD is that information can be displayed whilst not impairing outside cues, I think it is important.

However, much more important is that the aircraft HUD isn't simply a display. The most important part is the complex software which is used to tune the information being presented to be relevant, critical and non-distracting. A lot - and I mean a lot - of time is spent researching, developing and testing this. Not only is the system carefully developed, but pilots - even those on private pilots licenses - go through much training on concentrating on the right information at the right time and not being distracted by irrelevant data. Most drivers passed a test years ago when social media wasn't even a dream, and the dashboard was a spartan affair. How can we reasonably expect them to suddenly be able to process and manage large amounts of realtime information, much of which is irrelevant to the task? Maybe the HUD system has been carefully developed to manage the information streams for the driver and has clever electronics to identify what data is needed and when. But since it costs $299 and links to a smartphone, I am having my doubts. The fact that they have introduced swipe controls and voice activation doesn't fill me with confidence either. Speaking a twitter which then appears in your field of view seems like madness, especially when most voice systems are still a bit hit and miss and will require some editing before sending.

The law isn't really keeping up with this. Even car manufacturers are basically loading up their new cars with gadgets that add workload to the driver. I think a HUD is a good idea if it displays critical data only (maybe also basic sat-nav arrows, and at an outside possibility basic call handling if the design is done very well), and if the HUD is actually focused somewhere around the distance a driver should be looking.

The advert seems to think it is a good product because it is better than fiddling around with a mobile. Even if we accept this is true, do you know what is better than both? Not f*ck*ng about with posting twitter and facebook updates whilst trying to drive..

The aircraft comparison is a two edged sword

One thing learnt since Vietnam is that you cannot overload pilots and expect them to respond

An aircraft HUD has essential information only and modes appropriate to the task in hand

To follow this proven, evidenced and established philosophy there would be a limit to speed perhaps a direction and fuel left

That would be it

GrasB

Veteran
My car displays sat-nav instruction arrows, speed limit (w//source indication - camera, gps or both), speed, rpm, engine state, battery charge, engine temp (oil or water, your choice), estimated range or fuel level & distance to nearest petrol station with a charging point. With the exception of the sat-nav information these are the gauges you should be scanning periodically anyway.

The thing is with the HUD information's focus point being about 1.5m away you're not distracted by the information being displayed, you simply refocus your eyes, it's like an ever present reflection on the windscreen you simply tune it out.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If that doesnt take your concentrating off the road I dont know what will. I can take my TomTom saying Turn Left - Turn Right, but if the phone rings I pull in to take the call or call back if it is important.

This device will let people be on Facebook or Twitter constantly whist driving. It doesnt sound good.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think I'm a bit behind the times with in car technology. I have a car stereo and a sat nav, but I don't fiddle with either of them while I'm driving, other than I may just press the off button on the stereo.
When I watched the recent dangerous drivers documentary I was quite shocked at how much people are using in car systems to text, phone, use facebook and twitter etc. Really shocked.
I see them every day and I'm furious!

Yesterday waiting behind a car at a green light who didn't go for ages, or the guy I saw who seemed to have his phone mounted in the window watching a video on a really tiny screen.

I think it would be legal and you could be prosecuted under the current rules for mobile phones etc but slightly less obvious you would be using it in the daytime, and the fact that you can multi task making it more difficult to catch people distracted by it and depends how much light it sheds to whether it would be the same at night.

Why can't people just say no to Facebook etc whilst driving. When I'm cycling I don't have to check what everyone is doing all the time.

Pete Owens

The thing is with the HUD information's focus point being about 1.5m away you're not distracted by the information being displayed, you simply refocus your eyes, it's like an ever present reflection on the windscreen you simply tune it out.

Or rather more worrying - when you are focussing on the HUD you simply tune out the background image beyond it WITHOUT REALISING it. It gives you the impression that you are still "looking" where you are going simply because the image is still in that direction.

snorri

Legendary Member
The aircraft comparison is .....well there is no comparison, as I understand it many aircraft take off and land without human intervention, whereas in the automotive industry comparable technology is still on trial and certainly not yet legal for use on our roads.

Top Bottom