Navy Blue Brompton M6R

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emmarm

Hi everyone

I'm feeling pretty miserable as my lovely blue Brompton was stolen from outside Canonbury rail station in London last week (they broke off a heavy duty Abus lock).

There are very few navy blue Bromptons around so I'm hoping you might look out for it for me please!! It has hub dynamos that are broken and is the 6 gear version.

Also, I'm looking out on gumtree and ebay but if anyone knows of other places to look then please let me know.

Thanks so much
Emma

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
sorry for your loss and wish you luck finding it. was it folded and locked or unfolded and locked? the reason i ask is that i leave mine folded and locked with a d lock thru it.

cheers

OP
OP
E

emmarm

sorry for your loss and wish you luck finding it. was it folded and locked or unfolded and locked? the reason i ask is that i leave mine folded and locked with a d lock thru it.

cheers

it was unfolded and locked but i reckon your idea of folding it is a good one - i'm going to need to buy a replacement so i'll definitely fold it as i imagine this would slow down any potential thieves!

Crankarm

Guru
I share your pain Emma. I lost my first red Brompton M6L to thieves in 2004 after 12 months who broke the Kryptonite New York FOAD lock I had used to lock it, by using a Biro apparently ................ yes a feckin' Biro! It was locked up, folded, to an Oxford hoop, beneath a flock of CCTV cameras out side Senate House in Mallet Street in Bloomsbury. I was attending a post grad ceremony and has since been the one and only time I have been unable to take it into a building. Ba$tards, both the security people who wouldn't allow it in and the thieves. It was right up there with the worst moments of my life. Suffice to say none of the CCTV cameras were working or that's what I was told. Maybe they were trying to fob me off.

I tried Gumtree and Ebay, but nothing. I was advised by bike shops to trawl through Brick Lane market, but being so far away this was impossible. The police were about as interested as an ASBO kid in learning anything at school.

Fortunately it was insured, but I have paid for it since in my increased premiums and loss of NCD so shafted by the insurance company as well.

My replacement now NEVER leaves my sight accept when it is safely at home or locked in the boot of the car. I simply will NOT leave it locked anywhere or part with it. If I am denied entry to an establishment because of it I just don't go in or I just take it in with me when I roll up and wait for anyone to object. I have had a few people object from time to time, but most people are genuinely interested in it and are happy to accommodate it. If not, I tell them I don't have a lock and my first one was stolen when I had to leave it locked up with a very secure D-lock. I give the impression if they don't like it they can lump it which often does the trick or alternatively I ask if they can be of assistance in looking after it while I am in the building. This also shuts them up and they leave me alone. I also have the Brompton bag to put it in if the worst comes to worse, but have never yet had to use it. Anyway I think it is in the loft.

I do hope yours turns up, but realistically I think this unlikely. It is a huge effort to get even the police interested let alone Ebay or Gumtree if you see it advertised there. I was told it will most likely be stripped for parts.

Top Bottom