NCN v Road for commutes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A local stretch of the National Cycle Network might be getting an upgrade to it's surface soon(ish). The idea is it will tempt some from their vehicles for work commutes and the like by: "supporting sustainable choices".

I decided to test this route as a viable commuting option by taking a trip to the movies. On a bike using 'A' roads this is a 4 mile/20 mins journey (with traffic light stops, etc) but by bridleways/NCN/quiet roads it was 9 miles/67 mins.

I've filmed the whole journey. I wonder, if you were a commuter looking for a traffic lite option as an alternative to driving, would this tempt you?

P.S. I've sped the whole journey up a tad and set it to music.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Nope :smile: Bit muddy for me, should be OK on a dry day maybe ?. Reminds me of when I got lost in Scotland on a Audax 200 km :sad: in the rain and used a Sustrans route thinking It would make easy navigation. Nope

I don't think Ive been down that way. Sustrans have a big budget with Salford and round your end so some big changes happenning at the moment :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I do take longer cycle routes occasionally - it gives me a choice depending on whether I'm pushed for time or fancy a bit of quiet peace. However the route you took doesn't look that sensible for a commute. (And I hate all those cycle barriers!!!)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
9 miles on what will be an adequate surface without traffic (and ignoring the idiocies like the pavement path you start off on) - about 45 minutes. 4 miles in presumably bumper-to-bumper traffic - about 30 minutes.

Yeah, I'd take the off-road option.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On a bike using 'A' roads this is a 4 mile/20 mins journey (with traffic light stops, etc) but by bridleways/NCN/quiet roads it was 9 miles/67 mins.

See this is the problems with the NCN. Their routes are generally hopeless. People want a safe direct route, not a meander that goes here, there and everywhere. NCN's are great for a pootle cycle. For a commute, not.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm lucky enough to be less than 1/2 a mile at home/work from the Trans Pennine - surfaces vary like on your video depending upon which part of the route I take - some totally boggy, others tarmac or hard packed. Tend to be 99% road, but if I feel like a change, out comes the MTB. Tend to use this route if it's Icy or Snowy though. It would be good if there was a good route in from the South East Mcr into the centre.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Not heard of it personally, but it certainly seems well thought of, any good?

snorri

Legendary Member
Parts of that route were acceptable, but overall the off road option results in a doubling of mileage and a tripling of time, so I would not consider it to be a viable option for daily use. There are lots of accident hazards too.((

Hicky

Guru
Would it tempt me.......no.
Why, doubling the distance and the messabout factor......mud, huge puddles and if commuting the need for expensive "to see" rather than "be seen" minimum semi knobblies.....couldnt be arssed.

I hate the "at least they're doing something" and "in this economic climate" crap the continent manage it why cant we?!!?

If "they" want to get people to cycle into work I think the provisions might help a small % but too many people are simply too lazy to get out there and buildup a sweat....oh work provisions for facilities rather than council would help(I work at the Uni, my employers are suberb for it).

I have the option of using the Rochdale canal for 99% of my commute(adds about a mile and a half compared to the road and 15mins on a good day) with around 75%(rough guess) good compact surface...still need the expensive lights and in the winter tyres to cope with the mud!
Come the lighter mornings/nights I ONLY use the canal.

400bhp

Guru
I would use the route occasionally but only when the weather had been dry for a while as some of those muddy/puddly bits no doubt linger.

Sustrans have done an excellent job in Trafford with the TPT. I am within a mile of it and use it somethimes to commute to work (12 miles ish), however given our climate someties it's not advisable to use.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The NCN and LCN is pretty poor in my neck of the woods. For example from norbury to streatham the NCN goes through back roads, a few crossings and is genreally on quite narrow roads. But the journey between the two on the main road is less than half a mile and consists of 99% bus lane.

Wafu

I tend to take the NCN rather than the roads but this is out of a bit of fear after having a road accident when I was 10 where I had my front tooth knocked out, dislocated a hip, knee and thumb. Understandably I am a little wary on roads now so would rather take the longer by safer route.

I just account for the extra time it will take and enjoy the view along route 34 and route 2 along the way :smile:

Top Bottom