Nearly knocked off, on purpose!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Thanks again everyone. It is slightly scary however how many of yoy have encountered similar though!

But roads were nice and quiet today so managed to get up some nice speed on the mtb and no more problems.

I remember once a while back a guy in a car at a roundabout gave me a huge angry lecture about not pulling out without looking. I was very confused as I don't/hadn't. And then mid sentence he sort of realised I wasn't who he thought I was, he just drove off though no apology! Some people are far too angry for their own good.

Lemond

Sounds like a nasty experience. Glad you're ok and back out on two wheels.

Sounds like mistaken identity for some other cyclist who committed whatever wrongs against car is king?

Some proper nutcases out there, sounds like you did the right thing in not getting into an argument with him and/or chasing him down like some Youtube warriors do. I've thought about getting a camera but it put me off when I thought that it might make me start looking for trouble instead of just concentrating on getting from A to B in one piece.

Try to forget about the nutters out there and remember the good people. The ones that stop and let you out or ask if you are OK if you are pushing your bike along instead of riding it (or wrose still clearly hurt and needing assistance). Trust me, it happens and constantly when you are in trouble. There are plenty of good people about. They are the ones to remember, not the bad ones. Hard as it is, let it go and don't let it ruin an otherwise good day.

A very similar thing happened to me this morning on a clear open stretch of road with no oncoming traffic. A grey Ford Focus comes from behind doing at least 40 mph on a 30 mph road. The driver passes within millimeters of my right elbow, slams on breaks about 15 meters ahead, reverses within a meter of me shouts some muffled obscenities out of the driver side window and speeds off. I was so shocked about the initial pass I didn't even have chance to think about memorizing the registration plate.

There are some bizarre people out there who enjoy intimidating others. Luckily, this is the first incident of its kind since I started cycling, but it makes you question whether its worth continuing... Then I think back to all the idiots who drive like that around me when I'm in the car, there's no distinction for these idiots. As we are more vulnerable road users, we assume the hatred is directed at us because we ride a bike, but the truth is these people drive like idiots around other road user as well. There are messed up people out there...

In anger I tried chasing this idiot down, and I'm glad he got away or I may genuinely have put my bike through his windshield, reached in for his keys and guttered them a mile up the road. :gun:

Afterwards I was more cross with myself for letting this Muppet get to me. I'm a better person than that. :angel:

Last edited:
OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I'm sure there are lots of great drivers out there. I know there are a lot of nice fellow riders around who always ask if I'm okay if I'm walking!

One time I came off in a busy road (if anyone knows Hampton court) unfortunately there was a brick in the road which I stupidly didn't see. Anyway I bashed my face pretty badly and not one car driver stopped/asked if I was okay, I sat on the pavement for about 5mins until someone did stop and got my bike out the road, I wasn't with it but that was very nice of them. I also came off on an oil patch and no one stopped then, not even just to check I was okay. I was fine then though just bit of glass in my hand!

But not had any furthur problems with any cars since apart from a few overtaking a bit close but that's not so bad :smile:

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
One very lovely car driver I came across is worth a mention though. I was cycling home in moonsoon like rain and all the roads were flooded very deep at the edges. He insisted I
went in front (let me out at a junction) and tthen followed at some distance behind with his hazards on and followed me the distance of the road so I could avoid the worst of the flooding. It was very treacherous and getting dark and I was so grateful for his help!

Never waste your time trying to rationalise the irrational.
A rational person will never be able to understand the moronic, so don't even try.
Instead, savour the many positive interactions with other road users that many of us have and above all, enjoy riding.

Top Bottom