New Bike Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dommo

Veteran
Hi all,

I'm looking for a few suggestions in terms of parts. I plan to build a light/fast hybrid for commuting. I already own a Trek hybrid but I want something lighter and closer to the performance of my road bike. I prefer the more upright posture of the hybrid for commuting due to the better visibility hence not just using the road bike. I realise I could replace bits on my existing Trek but that wouldn't give me an excuse to increase via the N+1 rule. :smile:

I’ve seen the Sirrus Expert Carbon Disc Flat Bar 2015 Road Bike and that’s along the lines of what I’m after but with the fun/challenge of building it myself – I also prefer an aluminium frame rather than carbon. I was thinking I want to use 700s rather than 26s, but with discs so not sure if this is a good option.. I’m contemplating the idea of a single chainring since my commuting in London is very flat.

So first off I need to find a frame. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Dommo

Dommo

Veteran
D'oh. Put this is the wrong section. Is it possible to move it myself?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why not use a high quality steel frame, a frame in 853 will be lighter and more comfortable than an Aluminium one. May be out of your price range though although this is on offer at SJS
10660.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why not use a high quality steel frame, a frame in 853 will be lighter and more comfortable than an Aluminium one. May be out of your price range though
But how about this
30676.jpg
A thorn Audax frame that can accept MTB rear spacing at £429

OP
OP
Dommo

Dommo

Veteran
I guess my comment around Aluminium comes from the fact that my road bike is a high-end aluminium frame and I really like the feel of it. My thing about carbon fibre is that I'm a relatively big lad and this bike is going to be used a lot and might take the occasional knock. I suppose my paranoia around carbon might be over-exaggerated and I should consider it...

the snail

Guru

Top Bottom