New bike then....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Of course youre entitled to your view but its the classic mistake of looking at the bike as a collection of parts instead of a whole. Plus who wants to say they've got a Triban like thousands of others. Bit like saying I've got a chair.

Ask @ianrauk about the Kona, he used to have one.

I have had a few Kona's over the years. Each one has been a brilliant servant to my cycling cause. I would have no hesitation in buying another one.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I wouldn't risk £800 on a first bike, you might not like it, it might not suit you, you might change your mind about what riding you like, I did.

Loads of bargains appear now and after Xmas as people have a clear out, many are practically unused, like this, I'd offer £250 for this and expect to lose nothing if I moved it on. It (& similar) will do everything you've decsribed and you'd have £550 + the bikes residuals for your dream purchase when you know more.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/specializ...811323?hash=item41b94e9d7b:g:~gAAAOSwa~BYRrwJ
Thank you all for the great advice and links to bike ideas.
There are a few on the used market I've seen such as a couple of Cannondale CAADX tiagra, various years from 2014 @ 320 quid to a nicely specced 2016 @ 525 quid.
A Focus Cross Expert 400 quid.
It's apparent that it can be a bit of a minefield and I appreciate your experience and advice.
I will take MarkF point, it is a very valid one and thank you for raising it. I already have my first bike though, which I'm on everyday :okay:
I will though, now concentrate my search in the second hand market. Although, that self build 'Planet X' in the retailers section is tempting (built by them of course). So is the Croix de Fer currently for sale in the sales section.

I'll wait until after Christmas .

Ta

Well said @MarkF

vickster

Legendary Member
Just make sure the seller acquired the bike legally, if fairly new, ask for proof of purchase/ownership, i.e. Receipt. If they become evasive, shirty etc, look elsewhere

Specialized Hardrock Pro mountain bike £150
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/specalize...610393?hash=item25ca681b99:g:Ui8AAOSwA3dYRaHZ

s-l1600.jpg
There is no other way to put this.
But fark right off with this humungously shite contraption.
Not you personally mind.
150 quid for a bike this bad,and I would be laughing and probably talking about it for years on end.
"Hey do you remember that time some nutter gave me money for the Hardrock Pro ?"
The fact that it has an choice of mudguards and racks is WTF!!!!'

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 63

vickster

Legendary Member
Not you personally mind.
150 quid for a bike this bad,and I would be laughing and probably talking about it for years on end.
"Hey do you remember that time some nutter gave me money for the Hardrock Pro ?"
Yes, not sure why that's been suggested to someone with an £800 budget who wants a CX/gravel/adventure type bike ...ditto the roadbike for wooded bits with mud?
Just cos a bike looks cheap (well the silver one doesn't), doesn't mean it's the right bike

May be that the OP should use his £800 budget for two bikes, although a CX type bike with slicker styres should be more than capable of doing a 100k audax...I did one around London on a CX with knobbly tyres, glad due to all the cobbly bits

Last edited:

dim

Not you personally mind.

Hmmmm .... I'm no expert on mountain bikes, but my suggestion of getting the 2 bikes was merely a suggestion and was based on a 3 minute search on ebay.

but saying that, the Hardrock Pro was £600 and got a fairly good review from Bikeradar and a few other sites

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...eview-specialized-hardrock-pro-disc-11-42295/

OP
OP
L

Lochen

Does anyone have any views/experience of the Raleigh Mustang?
There's one on eBay and whilst entry level spec.....might it do what I plan?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Nothing wrong with the Mustang.

Couple of others to consider:
Marin Gestalt
Pinnacle Arkose
Genesis Croix de Fer

As mentioned upthread, a 'proper' CX bike is designed for racing round tight twisty courses, what you really want is an 'adventure' bike, which is designed more for straight line speed. That said, don't get hung up on the differences, which are largely in the marketing - I've done audaxes up to 400km on a CX bike (with road tyres fitted).

Top Bottom