New Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
I tested a bike with Avid BB7's, which are pretty much regarded as the best of the mechanical brakes. And I couldn't notice a difference. Reviews seem to say that any difference is minimal from the braking side. What is different is how you adjust the pads, the BB7's have a dial which you can turn by hand but the CX5's require a 5mm allen key. Not an issue but worth knowing if that is appealing to you. I haven't bedded them in yet, road conditions have been too poor to go slamming on the brakes!

It's worth noting that whilst the bike looks like it can be full comuterised, it can't take full length mudguards. There is no eyelets on the front fork and the rear seat stays do not have a brake block screw in the usual place. I don't think you can get a full length guard that screws into the seat stay like that.
Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Nice looking bike Gaz

Reactions: gaz

TOTWCCTV

it can't take full length mudguards. There is no eyelets on the front fork and the rear seat stays do not have a brake block screw in the usual place. I don't think you can get a full length guard that screws into the seat stay like that.

You can fit a full length SKS chromoplastic on the rear by bending the bracket that fixes to the brake bridge 90 degrees. The bent bracket needs to be fixed in place first before feeding the mudguard through it, otherwise you can't tighten the bolt. The front rear mudguard fixing was screwed onto the bridge behind the bottom bracket shell between the chain stays. This works really well, even with a rack. The rack and mudguard stays use different mounting points on the rear triangle.

I plan to fit a front SKS mudguard using p-clips or modified light brackets. To fit a front mudguard requires a longer bolt to span the fork crown which is huge.

Make sure you get the stainless stell p-clips with rubber coating to protect the forks. I got nylon ones which I think will flex too much.

So far I am very happy with this bike for commuting. It seems robust and the brakes are good. It's not really 'mudguard ready' as advertised but that probably wouldn't have stopped me buying it. Couldn't find anything as well specced with 105 all round for the money.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You can fit a full length SKS chromoplastic on the rear by bending the bracket that fixes to the brake bridge 90 degrees. The bent bracket needs to be fixed in place first before feeding the mudguard through it, otherwise you can't tighten the bolt. The front rear mudguard fixing was screwed onto the bridge behind the bottom bracket shell between the chain stays. This works really well, even with a rack. The rack and mudguard stays use different mounting points on the rear triangle.

I plan to fit a front SKS mudguard using p-clips or modified light brackets. To fit a front mudguard requires a longer bolt to span the fork crown which is huge.

Make sure you get the stainless stell p-clips with rubber coating to protect the forks. I got nylon ones which I think will flex too much.

So far I am very happy with this bike for commuting. It seems robust and the brakes are good. It's not really 'mudguard ready' as advertised but that probably wouldn't have stopped me buying it. Couldn't find anything as well specced with 105 all round for the money.
you might have a bit of trouble fitting the front guard on the forks. The size and the close proximity to the disc caliper and brake may cause you issues.

Ciar

Veteran
Lovely looking bike mate, really nice matt black paint job, my hybrid CX has a nice undercoat grey matt, think the matt paint jobs have something speacial going for em :smile:

Reactions: gaz

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Nice bike - I did look at that model when I was hunting for a CX - I ended up with a Giant TCX1.

Norco are huge in their homeland and get great reviews as you probably know.

Hayes make good brakes and the cables will look great in red!

S1m0n

Sorry to bump such an old thread but this one fits my bill. Gaz, A year on from obtaining your Norco, would you recommend the threshold A1? I'm going round in circle trying to decide which to get and the Norco looks great and is good value. I like the frame detail, colour, concealed cables etc.

It would be an all-rounder for me. Winter bike with a smidge of racing thrown in, towing a tag-along and something to go and get the fish and chips and bottle of rioja (I'm a bit posh)

Also, have you weighed it. 57cm would be the size for me too.

Cheers

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Sorry to bump such an old thread but this one fits my bill. Gaz, A year on from obtaining your Norco, would you recommend the threshold A1? I'm going round in circle trying to decide which to get and the Norco looks great and is good value. I like the frame detail, colour, concealed cables etc.

It would be an all-rounder for me. Winter bike with a smidge of racing thrown in, towing a tag-along and something to go and get the fish and chips and bottle of rioja (I'm a bit posh)

Also, have you weighed it. 57cm would be the size for me too.

Cheers
It's a harsh ride on 25c slicks but perfectly fine on cyclocross tyres (which I currently use it with). Apart from that it's great.

Mine weighs 20lbs or just over 9kg

ChrisMc

How do you find the cx tyres on the road puncture wise as well. Only asking as I've just bought a second hand cx bike and it's got road tyres on and I'm thinking about putting cx tyres on it for commuting and winter riding.

Cheers.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
How do you find the cx tyres on the road puncture wise as well. Only asking as I've just bought a second hand cx bike and it's got road tyres on and I'm thinking about putting cx tyres on it for commuting and winter riding.

Cheers.
Not really put enough miles in on the road to comment on that. It would of course depend on the kind of tyre you bought.

Top Bottom