new boy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MJSIBS

Hi guys new boy here.

Bought a giant rapid 1 couple of years ago to do a 20 mile a day commute. Had a baby and not had a day to ride the thing. Only ever rode 2 times and to be honest I prefer mountain bikes, even on the road, as I'm in London the roads are awful and takes me longer to ride a road bike then a mountain bike.

Anyway looking to get back into it next week as he's starting a nursery placement.

Thinking of getting another mountain bike instead though. Some will say I'm nuts but just my own likes really.

anyway hi everyone.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @MJSIBS

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi - and I agree about the hybrids. I ride one because of potholes and the occasional necessity to go off-road (ie onto the verge) in narrow winding lanes with tractors. Lighter than a mountain bike, and it will have all the mounts for racks, bottles etc, useful if you carry a bag and don't want to use a rucksack. You can get ones with some suspension on too.

Congratulations on the baby by the way!

OP
OP
M

MJSIBS

Thanks guys.

To be honest I'd like to swap the giant for a mountain bike, I just feel comfortable on them. Possibly a hybrid.

Know idea what my giants even worth

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It is a hybrid :smile:
Maybe the OP would be ok if he fitted wider tyres ?, i cant really see how a road based hybrid would be slower than a MTB but its hard to say without seeing the route the OP takes .
Baffled me too, slower steering response of 700c wheels compared to 26in possibly, there's not much else different except gearing and I'd expect an MTB to be a bit lower geared if there is any difference. Hybrids can feel a bit more sedate even though they're generally quicker.

Top Bottom