New Brake Calipers - Compatability with Tiagra 4600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arwel

Hello all,

I've got a Specialized Allez Elite 2015. I would like to upgrade the brake calipers as they are AXIS 1.0 stock brakes.

I know a lot of people say that the benefit of just changing the pads would be greater than the calipers but I want the calipers to match the rest of the Tiagra components, for aesthetic reasons more than anything. But if it improves performance that's great also.

My Tiagra components are 4600. However, now the latest version of Tiagra has come out, 4700.

Is anyone able to tell me whether the 4700 calipers would be compatible with my 4600 brake levers?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CNXZ2ICB88oCFeUV0wodFIgPEA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I cannot seem to find this information anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Arwel

Citius

Aesthetically, 4700 calipers will not match your aesthetic demands of matching the rest of the 4600 groupset though...

Reactions: mjr

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'd just get some 105 brakes so you can replace the pads more easily and cheaper. Or if you want 4600 there are plenty new on eBay for the same money as your CR link.

Drago

Legendary Member
Or fit Tiagra caliper with cartridge pads like a 105 - 105 caliper put their trousers on one leg at a time, just like any other. Seeing as Shimano supplied 105 pads are pretty crap you'd want to bin them anyway if you went 105.

Provided the drop is the same the new Tiagra will work just fine, it won't be a perfect cosmetic match for the rest of your shoulder.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Shimano Compatibility Chart Says "Yes";

http://www.celebrazio.net/bicycling/shimano/2015_compatibility.html

Note that the chart doesn't take into account the "drop" or "reach" of the brake (it's only telling you whether the brake works with your levers, not whether it's right for where your wheel sits in the frame) so you'll need to have a look at that yourself.

(Thanks to @RecordAceFromNew, who pointed me towards that site of Shimano Compatibility charts to answer one of my questions a bit ago).

Top Bottom