New cycle lanes on George st, Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ThompsonCrowley

They've finally put some cycle lanes in the new town centre of Edinburgh! Actual ones, just for bikes. Has anyone seen them. They're not on Princess street, so you have to make the detour over one street across to George street, which'll probably mean coming back to get where you're going, but it's still good. A step in the right direction. It seems the pedal on parliament is finally making progress, albeit very slowly. I think it's just an experiment for now, so the more that ride it, the more likely they'll build more!

Brandane

Legendary Member
They've finally put some cycle lanes in the new town centre of Edinburgh! Actual ones, just for bikes. Has anyone seen them. They're not on Princess street, so you have to make the detour over one street across to George street, which'll probably mean coming back to get where you're going, but it's still good. A step in the right direction. It seems the pedal on parliament is finally making progress, albeit very slowly. I think it's just an experiment for now, so the more that ride it, the more likely they'll build more!
Hmmmmm..... In two minds about this. Should we not be wanting "integration NOT separation"? Otherwise it just fuels the ignorant "why aren't you using the cycle lane/path?" attitude of a growing number of drivers.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hmmmmm..... In two minds about this. Should we not be wanting "integration NOT separation"? Otherwise it just fuels the ignorant "why aren't you using the cycle lane/path?" attitude of a growing number of drivers.
Ok, next time you're on your artic lorry, I wish you a peloton of Pat 5mph riding the dual carriage way, at rush hour. Right in front of your vehicle, no chance of overtaking :whistle:
While in the meantime, the poor old dears do a shoulder check, see your monster, quiver and break the eggs in their baskets :cry:

Brandane

Legendary Member
While in the meantime, the poor old dears do a shoulder check, see your monster, quiver and break the eggs in their baskets :cry:

That post is just SO deserving of a Fnaar type response, but I will resist! :tongue:

In answer to the rest of it; if there is a peleton in front of me I will hold back and wait until I can safely pass without scaring them with my monster :laugh:; I get paid by the hour anyway :thumbsup:.

boydj

Legendary Member
It's not stopping anybody using Princes St if they want to, for one thing, and it might just encourage a few more people to cycle who currently would not want to contend with the Edinburgh traffic.

I wish Glasgow would 'get it' that providing cycling facilities is a good thing in the way Edinburgh seems to have done.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's not stopping anybody using Princes St if they want to, for one thing, and it might just encourage a few more people to cycle who currently would not want to contend with the Edinburgh traffic
I wish Glasgow would 'get it' that providing cycling facilities is a good thing in the way Edinburgh seems to have done.
We do get it: sadly the council does not get it!

apb

Veteran
i have ridden these cycle lanes a few times and i find them pretty dangerous. The way you, in particular west bound, enter the roundabouts puts you in a position where car won't be looking.

I think this is a very poor attempt of cycle infrastructure.

OP
OP
ThompsonCrowley

ThompsonCrowley

Yes, I can see where you're coming from. Over in Europe the car drivers are much more aware of cyclists, they seem to consider them much more and be prepared for one turning up round the corner. but it's not the same here in Britain, most drivers just concentrating on the traffic instructions rather than on other, small road users (ie. bikes.) I think integration is what's needed, but how to go about introducing that is a tricky thing. It's a busy place in the middle of a city, and having to share the road with cars puts a lot of people off cycling. I know that if the car drivers were more used to bikes then people wouldn't feel so scared. But the way it is now, especially in Edinburgh, any extra cycle lanes is a great positive move me thinks. And personally, all bigger picture thinking aside, I love to ride my bike where there aren't cars, they stink, are noisy, dangerous, and take away a lot of the still, calm, peace and flow of cycling.

OP
OP
ThompsonCrowley

ThompsonCrowley

i have ridden these cycle lanes a few times and i find them pretty dangerous. The way you, in particular west bound, enter the roundabouts puts you in a position where car won't be looking.

I think this is a very poor attempt of cycle infrastructure.

Yes, the cycleways and paths scheme is still in its infancy in Edinburgh. I think a lot of the streets are small and windy, due to Edinburgh's extremely hilly landscape, so it's difficult to fit in lanes what with parked cars. but, obviously that isn't an excuse for George street. I think though that the more they introduce the better they will get at it, and comments like yours help loads in their development.

ps. Is that Vogrie park? Think I've got a picture like that somewhere!

Top Bottom