New cycling mag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I really dont get people who wont read a mag just because they mention the word helmet or dare to show one in photo's or reviews.

Christopher

Über Member
It was the letters page that got my goat. Articles in that issue didn't push any particular viewpoint wrt helmets. The l'Eroica article said that h*****s were neither required or frowned upon, "it's your head". I think that is the right attitude so I will probably buy it again...

bpsmith

Veteran
The thing is what is the default. Helmets shown in photos or not? There is no middle ground. Unless you show a mixture, of course.

Mine arrived yesterday and managed to look at the first few pages. Stopped to read the full article on 'Bikes for Big Climbs' or some such - mostly because it was based on one of my favourite little hills!. @vickster might be, or maybe not, interested that one of the 3 tested was one of Trek's WSD bikes.
Will report back when I've had a better look.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've looked through half of it. Yep one woman's bike reviewed, a teeny mention of the World Champ CX lady and I spotted a woman in the Whyte advert (on the wonderfully named Victoria hybrid ;) )

bpsmith

Veteran
With a predominantly male reader base it must be very hard to balance the articles towards the ladies. The adverts are totally out of their control.

1 out of 3 of the climbing bike article is fair I reckon?

Sister mag Cyclist seems to review a bike for the fairer sex pretty regularly now and has a regular female writer as well(same bod as in cycling etc?).
I've just cancelled my cycling active subs as I just found it a bit dull and now subscibe to Cyclist,Bikes etc and Rouleur;get cycling+ and cycling weekly occasionally if there is anything of interest.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Nae, nae and thrice nae. Cycling Plus was OK right up to the point where the contents page was posted on page 13...after all the adverts = Subscription cancelled. It didn't take long before 'Cyclist' went the same way, plus the whole mag, and I mean the whole mag was

bpsmith

Veteran
Contents start on Page 10. Front cover and inside are counted as Page 1 and 2, btw. 57 advert pages. 180 total pages. Let's see how others line up against that and then compare how many destinations they have travelled to for the articles too...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I haven't bought a cycling mag for about three years now. Everything you need to know is on the net and first hand customer product reviews are far more useful than journalists road tests, bearing in mind the manufacturer is often shelling out a small fortune in advertising revenue to the mag in question.

Probably the reason the cycling press never investigate the avalanche of complaints about a certain well known retailer.

Top Bottom