New disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silk186

Currently I have a set of Magura Julie hydraulic disc brakes (not sure the age).
I don't really like the spongy feel they give and was thinking to replace them with a set of Shimano Deore M615.
These were recommended by the shop that when they bled my brakes. Would this be an noticeable upgrade?

I'm thinking that I may be able to make the change at without losing much, The M615 are pretty affordable and it seems, based on ebay listings that the Julies have held value.

Drago

Legendary Member
M615 are decent brakes. Not remotely sexy, but very effective.

lpretro1

The modulation in hydraulic brakes is different depending upon manufacturer. I always find the cheaper Shimanos to feel 'soft' - they work fine but I prefer a brake that bites quicker. At SLX/XT level they seem to have a better bite. So it's a bit horses for courses. Shimano brakes, in genera,l are pretty bomb-prooof - fit & forget.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Deore 615 brakes will be a vast improvement. They are powerful, easy to fit and bleed and dirt cheap. They can be set up for one finger use and as long as you keep e pads clean will stop you on a sixpence. Modulation is something you will learn in time, easily feathering them and hauling you to a halt downhill with one finger. Modulation is mostly a problem for people who want to grab a handful in an emergency. You'll learn not to. Nothing on the market comes close for the money, but shop round and look for the slightly better and adjustable SLX M675 for not much more.

One slight disadvantage us that you can't buy spares, but the levers and calipers can be bought separately if either fails.

Top Bottom