New Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got this today - can't find anything about it because googling 'Look' just brings forth alsorts.

Tange Double Butted Cr-Mo, has a Mavic sticker near seat post and a chain holder on the right seat stay.

If anyone can shed some light on a date and model that would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 80

si_c

Guru
I'm guessing, but early to mid 80s, Tange were making good tubesets throughout that period. Can you get a couple of extra shots for us? The tubeset decal on the downtube, and the serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket. It should be stamped in, the latter usually gives an idea of date.

Unfortunately can't get to a serial number because there's a cable guide there, and can't see any other serial numbers anywhere. I'm going to try and remove the guide later but I think the screw is too badly rusted.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hopefully there are a few more clues on there now from the drop outs, and the lay of the frame/decals.

Aye I'm pretty happy with it for twenty quid. I think I'll be building it into a proper racer again, either a full Tiagra group set or slowly building full 105 and then some new wheels - mavics preferably to go with the decal.

Citius

Unlikely to be a Look frame, as it has mudguard eyes. The number on the BB cable guide is just a part number for the plastic cable guide - not a frame number. There's no guarantee of the tubing being Tange either, as those decals are widely available.

In other words - it could be absolutely anything and you will probably never know for sure.

Yeah I think it probably isn't, though it seemed worth checking out. Frame seems alright quality, I think too many look decals to mean that it's genuine, same with the mavics.

Citius

Except Look never did that. In fact, I'm not even sure they ever made a steel frame. Pretty sure their first frames were carbon/aluminium lugged.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a couple of better looking condition frames than that rusting away in my backyard, that no one wants no matter how i try to give them away. Don't waste a 105 groupset on it!:thumbsdown:

When the time comes you have to turn them into something like this.

4ffc2f550bb39c34782b0afc586453ec.jpg

Or throw them in one of these.

large.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I have seen a couple of steel Looks around - Maybe it's more they were never known more widely until pedals/carbon.

I have a couple of better looking condition frames than that rusting away in my backyard, that no one wants no matter how i try to give them away. Don't waste a 105 groupset on it!:thumbsdown:

If you were a bit closer I'd probably take them off your hands - as I say it's probably a slow building up of 105, then justifying a better frame and single speeding this, and selling it on.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yeah I have seen a couple of steel Looks around - Maybe it's more they were never known more widely until pedals/carbon.

If you were a bit closer I'd probably take them off your hands - as I say it's probably a slow building up of 105, then justifying a better frame and single speeding this, and selling it on.

You can have them gladly! Another poster was supposed to take the Carrera cro mo frame but he didn't show and the Reynolds 501 frame i was given is there also. I'm joking about the skip,i'm sure you'll make good use of your frame but if someone doesn't take those slightly rusted frames soon then Mrs Accy says she's going to turn them into wall mounted plant pot holders. Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea!:okay:

Top Bottom