New to road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

@Citius, if this isn't the info needed could you explain what is? Biggsydan may be as much a beginner at this stuff as me.

What chainset, what BB. The 'why' is in relation to what is wrong with the current chainset (ie work, broken, etc). We can deal with the potential issues of gearing and cadence later...

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi....
I would agree that we need more info re how/why you would like to change your gearing. Unless you are M.Cavendish riding DOWNhill it is hard to understand why you would need more than 50 teeth on your big ring.........but you 'could' go up to 52 or 53 if you think it would make that much difference.
You must be super-fit! I can count the number of times I have comfortably pushed 50x11 on the flat on one finger!!

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Depends on the crankset, I can fit a 52 to mine, it is a compact triple but 52 rings do exist in 110BCD, and my triple FD5700 FD does a 24th range, never ran it as 28-40-52 but I have as 26-38-50 and 30-40-52 coupled with the rear 12-27 was the fastest ever avg speed of any combination I have had.
Pretty sure that my Ridgeback runs the 52-40-30 combined with a 13-28 rear (it's only a 21spd) and that runs really well.

Pretty sure that my Ridgeback runs the 52-40-30 combined with a 13-28 rear (it's only a 21spd) and that runs really well.
I liked starting at 13th on my 7/8sp set up as it allowed lower gearing the other end, its draw back is its only 105" but thats only an issue down hill. I quite liked the 40th as well, but I do spin better on the current 38th middle.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
My bike has a 50/34 compact at the crank pulling on a 9 speed 11-30 cassette. The highest top speed I've recorded on the Edge 200 is just over 80kph on a frantically pedalling descent from British Camp down to Welland.
On more level roads I usually see 28 - 30kph with a general average of 26kph. Much of the time I'm running two or three sprockets down from the 11t top to maintain a comfortable cadence.

Top Bottom