Newbie Advice. How to clean a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
Sad I know but I'd like some advice on cleaning a bike to make sure I'm doing it right and not knackerring anything.

This is what I currently do:

1) Spray down the bike with a hose
2) Use an old brush against the bike to remove dirt
3) use another old brush to try to clean the chain and rear cassette. (This one is already black from previous use)
4) spray muck off on everything and leave it for 5 mins
5) another hose down
6) dry the bike using an old rag
7) Put some dry lube on the chain (maybe I should be using wet as the chain is still wet at this point). Wipe off excess with a kitchen towel
8) spray everything bar the brakes and rim with mo94

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You have to clean them :eek:

:biggrin:

OP
OP
Harv

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
[QUOTE 3041144, member: 30090"]I take the bike apart, throw all the components, drivetrain into a mixture of hot water/Muc Off. Shifters, jockey wheels and bottom bracket you want to leave these out but still clean.

Let soak for 5 mins and the dirt should wipe off. Dry, lube, put back together and polish the whole lot with Mr Sheen.

Add to this that the frame is a lot easier to clean with no stuff on it, wipe down with a towel that has been sprayed with GT85 and hot water.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I don't have the time nor skill to dismantle and reassemble the bike

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't use a hose, get water in the frame...but then one of my bikes is steel and the other carbon - so one might rust and the other may melt if it gets wet :ohmy:
I just wipe mine with babywipes and put some oil on the chain. Life's too short!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My advice is: start with a dirty bike, otherwise there's just no point in doing anything.
No, please, don't thank me, that advice was gratis :thumbsup:.

Seriously, though: no jet wash, it just encourages water to enter places that need to remain dry. My preferred overall cleaning method involves rags and a spray cleaner of some sort, although I'll use specific methods for certain parts.

@vickster had been having a go at me about how dirty my bike was, so I gave it a thorough baby-wiping on thursday, prior to TNRttC. Coming back from the coast on Monday, after the rain, I got so much mud everywhere that several times I had to stop and use a stick to remove the mud under the mudguard that was preventing the wheel from turning. It's much worse now than it was then.

Best just leave it alone, in my opinion.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3042642, member: 30090"]If you want to **** the bike up then by all means.[/QUOTE]
It is the tool holding the tool that does the damage, I know how to use the tool, so I do not cause any damage. You been reading the internet too much, do you not take your bikes out in the rain?

Been using on for over 30 years on every bike I own, and it is often said how well cleaned and maintained my bikes are seeing as they get ridden.

Top Bottom