Newbie looking for saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craig kennedy

I am a geek
I am looking to replace the stock saddle on my bike. I know very little about this subject, but I know this one hurts my ass and the shorts dont help. Buying better quality shorts would help but they will cost more than a better quality saddle so I am going to try that first.

Does anyone have a suitable road saddle that has a slightly wider rear (my bum is not big but this saddle is not comfortable) that is cheap for me to buy..

the saddle I have is just called Carrera saddle, and I tried to measure my ass but found it difficult

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You really need to measure your bum to get a good width. Have you tried http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcenter/measuresitbonewidth.html ?

Another option is to see if any local bike groups have a saddle box you can try a few from.

OP
OP
craig kennedy

craig kennedy

I am a geek
thanks, yes I know there is a search function, just being lazy, and stupid, oh and forgetful. I measured my bum ages ago, it does not appear to have changed much so I am guessing, adding 15 to 25mm t my bum takes me to a saddle width of 135mm to 145mm, seems awfully wide to me for my little arse

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to get your sit bones properly measured to make sure you have the right width, how did you do it? The width is determined by the bones not the buttocks. Either go to a specialized retailer or sit on some foil on a step in your cycling shorts and measure between the dents. I think there is then some sort of calculation, Google should help

However, the width is the start of the process, shape, cut out or not, level of padding or not, gel or not...you just need to try lots. I'd get good shorts first actually

The cost or presumed quality of the saddle has little bearing on whether it's comfortable. Lots of people get on well with a £20 charge spoon. My £20 bontrager is actually more comfortable than the £60 selle or £80 specialized that I have on other bikes. They are all the same width

Last edited:

Mike!

Guru
What shorts do you currently have? I couldn't get comfortable on anything until I got some decent quality shorts. Even now my saddle isn't perfect but it's a whole lot better than before!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think my sit bones are about 123mm appart (skinny ass)
So I think you're looking at about 145mm width saddles. Where did the previous saddle hurt?

I'm not a fan of padded shorts because I think most are almost as bad as those squishy gel covers for hiding problems only they're on your clothes. I feel it's fiddlier to get the saddle right without them but well worth it because then you can ride in street clothes... but that's not a majority view around here :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am looking to replace the stock saddle on my bike. I know very little about this subject, but I know this one hurts my ass and the shorts dont help. Buying better quality shorts would help but they will cost more than a better quality saddle so I am going to try that first.

Does anyone have a suitable road saddle that has a slightly wider rear (my bum is not big but this saddle is not comfortable) that is cheap for me to buy..

the saddle I have is just called Carrera saddle, and I tried to measure my ass but found it difficult
I have a fabric scoop i bought off here , tbh i did not really need it and i would sell it for what it cost me
http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/charge-scoop-saddle-review.html#HZHaY4hIYEzsY48G.97
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/charge-scoop-blue-fs.183495/
imag0676-jpg.95688

Top Bottom