Newbie on ebike to eventually cycle to work. Any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sanadsaad

Hi guys. I have finally got a Trek Powerfully 7 equipped 2022 as the trek dealership is just down the road from where I live. I have never commuted using a bike. I am aiming to cycle to nearby areas (post office, Tesco etc) to build confidence. I'll be looking to do the round trip to and from work (18miles in total) with 2 big hills and lots of traffic. I was wondering if you guys had any tips? I'll be looking at clothing and panniers etc once I do a bit more cycling. Eventually I'd be cycling most days and leaving the car at home. Excited to get started!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Have a look at the thread here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/

My commute's a 25-40 mile round trip which I currently do three days a week. Having clothing (suits / shoes in my case) at work helps as it means you're not carrying them with you each time.

Gillstay

Über Member
Also I once discussed the commute with a London guy and he had worked out that you only got properly wet about ten times a year.
I realised over the next year he was correct. So dont get fed up if you get a few wet days when you start, there are some super days to compensate.

OP
OP
S

sanadsaad

Thanks @Gillstay! That's very helpful. Bad weather is one of the things that has kept me away from cycling. A few cyclist friends at work suggested to keep dry clothes in a locker at work. And invest in good cycling layers to layer up or down depending on weather. I think the biggest mental block is cycling on a road with other cars. Once I get around my local area a bit on weekends and slowly expand my cycling distance, I will feel more comfortable.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Dont have the idea that you are not going to sweat. You will. I have a 20km commute. I leave an hour earlier than I do if Im driving. I can then get to work even if I have a puncture. I have time to get a shower and a coffee before I start. Take your battery off the bike every time. I have a spare charger at work. But thats a luxury. I ride to work in one set of cycle gear and home in a second set. The first set comes in the shower with me and dries overnight at work.

Top Bottom