Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

herriotfan

Hi
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hello to you all.
I'm 54, married and live in the country.
I normally keep fit by swimming, running, walking and going to the gym.
I haven't been on a bike since I was first married over 30 years ago!
Our children came along I was too busy to do anything just for me and the fun of it.
I've been thinking about getting a bike and going cycling again for ages, the bikes in the gym are not quite the same as the open road/tracks.
I'm sure cycling will compliment my other sporting interests.
Any tips for a newbie?
Look forward to chatting.......

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome herriotfan!

Cycling is pretty addictive, so be prepared!
Bike choice and a good fit are most important, the wrong machine will out you off, the right machine will put a smile on your face. First-off, think abou what you want your bike to be able to do/go, when and where you want to use it etc. No bike will do everything, but some will do many things fairly well. Other than that, a decent pair of cycle-shorts and some gloves, a few basic tools is all that's required.
Start thinking and start asking!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Welcome aboard.

Until the addiction kicks in, you might find it hard to cycle just for the point of cycling.
Pick somewhere you want to go, and set about getting there. :smile:

Once the addiction kicks in, you'll spend your time looking for reasons to cycle. Suitable excuses include:

- Needed to collect the morning paper (local shops to start, eventually a different county)
- Wanted to pop to the bikeshop (closest city to start, south coast to end).
- I was hungry (local pub lunch to start, breakfast 130 miles into your ride to end).

Andy.

Top Bottom