newby with question about USA type valves.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wooly wheels

Hi everybody,just back to cycling after 4 years ,am thinking of which new bike to buy .I fancy the Halcyon Aquilla ,yes I am a grandmother and I do have arthritis ,I can't walk far but I can cycle! ...,but can anyone tell me what are USA type valves and do they need a special pump?
I'm delighted to find all these cycling types willing to chat and argue to the bitter end about anything and everything .
Great to be amongst you.
Suzi.

MajorMantra

Welcome!

I've never heard of a USA valve but perhaps someone here has. The vast majority of bikes around these days have either a Presta or a Schraeder valve as shown here:

newvalvef.jpg

Look familiar at all?

Matthew

OP
OP
wooly wheels

wooly wheels

Hi Major,thanks for the welcome ,the usa type valves are part of the specification of the Aquilla in relation to continental sport contact tyres which come with the bike .

*If you do'nt give up and you do'nt give in you might just be OK.

MajorMantra

Valve type is not related to tyre type although I can see why you'd infer that from the way the spec is expressed. Rims are usually drilled for Presta or Schrader and when you buy inner tubes you have the choice of either.

I can't tell what they're referring to in this case but I would put money on it being a Schrader or Presta, which any decent bike pump will handle. I would recommend getting a decent track pump so you can inflate your tyres to the correct pressure. Something like this is a good deal:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...tQRY=Krevolution pump&f_SortOrderID=-1&f_bct=

Matthew

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
USA valves? odd terminology, I've never come across that before. A quick Google finds about 1000 matches for that phrase, and many of those aren't related to cycling. "Schrader Valve" brings up around 100,000 hits, and "Presta Valve" about 70,000.

As others have said, it's certain that you'll either have Presta or Schrader (probably Schrader- most 26" wheeled bikes of that type will have Schrader tubes fitted) and practically any old pump will do.

Hi wooly wheels, I assume you are in Spalding, South Lincolnshire? If so, hello from Crowland :biggrin:.
Good to see you're still taking exercise where you can, far too easy to give up because of an ongoing condition.
If you need any bike-related assistance and you are in Spalding South Lincs, give me a shout and I'll do what I can.

Browser said:
P.S. was just in Wikipedia and found this article relating to Schrader valves, also known as American valves (so it says).

Yep we had woods the French had pester and the yanks used schraders from there cars;)

OP
OP
wooly wheels

wooly wheels

Thanks for the encouragement.

Browser said:
Hi wooly wheels, I assume you are in Spalding, South Lincolnshire? If so, hello from Crowland :biggrin:.
Good to see you're still taking exercise where you can, far too easy to give up because of an ongoing condition.
If you need any bike-related assistance and you are in Spalding South Lincs, give me a shout and I'll do what I can.

Hi,Browser,thanks for the encouragement and offer of help,I'm in Long Sutton ,not so far away .I used to live in south west Dorset and then in South west Andalucia so this flat land seems incredibly easy cycling (yes I know about the wind but it only slows you down it does'nt stop you like a really steep hill).

If you don't give up and you don't give in you might just be OK.(Mike and the mechanics)

OP
OP
wooly wheels

wooly wheels

Thanks everybody ,it seems clear they are schrader valves and won't be a problem,and thanks for the pump ideas.
Has anyone got any reasons for not buying a bike mail order from Southwater cycles?

wooly wheels said:
Thanks everybody ,it seems clear they are schrader valves and won't be a problem,and thanks for the pump ideas.
Has anyone got any reasons for not buying a bike mail order from Southwater cycles?

I have one, unless you know what your doing do not do it as you will have to build and set it up even with the right tools you get it right but at best you may have to buy some new bits. At worst the bike may not stop / fall apart just when you need it to work.

You can ask if your LBS is willing to build it for you (at a cost) some do if it is not a cheap bike!

jay clock

Massive member
The valves are car tyre type.

Suzi. I found that bike online here http://www.southwatercycles.com/pro...HALCYON_BIKES_AQUILLA_BIKES_Hybrid_&_Trekking and it looks fine if somewhat pricey at around £650.

It also has suspension which soaks up energy and adds weight. That bike is likely to be fairly heavy. If you plan short rides in a very sit up and beg style it will be ok. If you plan anything more than a short pootle I would recommend a local bike shop and try and find something much lighter. Specialized do a good range of hybrids, as do Ridgeback.

Something like this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/claud-butler/classic-2009-womens-hybrid-bike-ec018809 or this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/t10-2009-hybrid-bike-ec001535 or this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/red-feather-2009-womens-hybrid-bike-ec018609 ( I chose a few similar types at random) will save you about £400 and probably suit your needs if you want an all purpose bike (not suitable for full off-road riding)

Of course, you might want a sleeker road bike (what used to be called a racing bike) in which case people on here will have heaps of advice (all different!)

Top Bottom