England : Isle of Wight Night Ride Around The Coast 2019 (May 3)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Stu,

I think you need to check your timings. According to the website the ferry has been defined to 23:00 (or 01:00 if you want a later start!).

More riding time :smile:

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Stu,

I think you need to check your timings. According to the website the ferry has been defined to 23:00 (or 01:00 if you want a later start!).

More riding time :smile:
Er, no....still 2359 for the outward ;)
https://www.wightlink.co.uk/go/isle-wight-ferry-timetables/?wlcrdt_route=Portsmouth-Fishbourne

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think LGG might be right. Looks like they've got rid of the 2359 sailing on Fridays (+Sat and Sun?).

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Yup....
Rather than move it back a week & clash with Bristol-Barry (which I still hope to do....more ******* engineering work on the line), 0100 ferry it will be....

lazybloke

Considering a new username
That probably makes morning arrangements easier for me, but not sure what is does for Friday evening travel. I shall check my options.

Did a training ride over Leith Hill today. Gave Barhatch Lane a miss.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Recce notes:
Rather faster and easier than last year's, not that wouldn't have been hard...did take a couple of detours which put paid to a repeat of getting to 'spoons by 7.30, but still made it there before 8. Which was nice.
This time, rather than popping down to Gunwharf early for a ticket, I bought it online & printed it out. Recommended, very simple and easy. Still hideously expensive, obviously...The new ferry, Victoria of Wight, is very nice, absolutely no difference whatsoever in boarding routine for pedestrians and cyclists- same rather narrow gangway etc, bikes against bow ramp. Road out of Fishbourne terminal is still horrendously potholed, it's now about the worst stretch on the entire route, with the bit after the Sunshine Trail running it close. Tesco sandwich selection, as ever at that branch in the small hours, somewhat sparse but adequate. Same old same old, in a good way, on the route. The island strangeness quotient: when I get to the Blackgang car park, there's a Ford Fiesta van parked there. No-one in it. Am about to leave when two young blokes appear from the nearby path (they inquired if I was all right). As to what they were doing there....pass. Wind was a bit gusty on the climbs before Freshwater Bay, but nothing too bad. Round to West Cowes, after managing to take a wrong turn and ending up in Gurnard (whoops). Ticket machines for chain ferry are still not working (!). It's still £1.50 for a return. Quarr Hill still just what you don't want with 60-odd miles in your legs. 'spoons large breakfast still ideal recovery. Tim Martin still a **** ;)
Route files same as last year.
Fishbourne-Tesco
Tesco-Ryde

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm sure your butler does anything you request, no?
Or do you give him friday night/saturday morn off?
!!
I blame all those commies in Brussels dear chap, you can't even flog a servant these days without the hacks in Fleet St kicking up an awful stink.

So we're agreed on the 1am crossing then?

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Still aiming to join this ride if I can - I now live near Aylesbury so transport looks a bit different from when I was in that London. May have to drive down, park the car in a Portsmouth multi-storey, do the ride, kip in the car for a few hours and drive back.

Not sure whether this is a daft plan. I have just reread some cycling forum posts from 2011 which have reminded me of the issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Still aiming to join this ride if I can - I now live near Aylesbury so transport looks a bit different from when I was in that London. May have to drive down, park the car in a Portsmouth multi-storey, do the ride, kip in the car for a few hours and drive back.

Not sure whether this is a daft plan. I have just reread some cycling forum posts from 2011 which have reminded me of the issues.
Hmmm....given the price of the train fares, I can understand the thinking....somewhat dependant on the quality of sleep you get.

Top Bottom