Night shifts - good idea or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I prefer it on balance. I'm starting work at 3 or 4 in the morning at the moment and working until about midday, which is a pretty short shift for a lorry driver. It means I get time to go shopping in the afternoon and I can cook and have dinner ready for when Ms RT gets home. Sometimes I even think about going cycling.:rolleyes:

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
It has its advantages: when I worked mixed days and nights in a dairy, the night shift was always more of a laugh because there were no managers around. Plus, as I was in my twenties at the time, I was usually able to get home after the last night shift and stay up until a normal bedtime, thereby normalising my hours again. Night shifts on lorries are far preferable to day shifts because the hours are generally shorter and there are fewer idiot motorists in your way.

I used to do that when i was in my twenties at a steel works,four ten hour shifts 9 till 8,we used to go for a pub lunch at about 11 and used the rest of the day as normal,made a long weekend out of it till monday night.All work and sleep those four days though,couldnt do it now.

yello

ColinJ said:
Here's the (rather lengthy :rolleyes:) story of my year on a night shift. It might give you a feel for what it is like...

Nothing to add but wanted to say I enjoyed reading your post Colin. I got a real sense of what it was like for you. :angry:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I do a week of nights (7) every couple of months or so on the link I am on at work. It takes me a day or so to recover and get back to daylight life after the nights, so by having a few days off after a run of nights only leaves you with a couple of "normal" days before you go back onto nights. There is a permanent night link and those guys don't look well. They are permanently red eyed and are a bit of a strange colour because of the lack of sunlight. I wouldn't say don't try the nights, but be aware that they do mess up your body clock and social life.

col

Legendary Member
Nights do upset your bodies rythmes,some take badly to it,one week of nights sometime ago i finished friday morning and had 4 hours sleep all weekend,at five monday morning i phoned in sick as i was a zombie by then.Not for me.But then where i am you can finish a late at half nine then the next day your on nights,or even finish nights on friday morning and your on an early saturday.

cyclenic

Nights

I do shift work, and tonight and tomorrow for example i'm working a 12 hour shift, 19-07.

I can adjust rather well, i can have a sleep in the afternoon with no problems, and when i go to bed in the morning about 7:30, i sleep till about 2 maybe half past, and feel ok.

Nights can be difficult i tend to get tired at about 4-5 o'clock, but it depends how active your job is. I work for the ambulance service, in the emergency control foor, and sit infront of a computer all night, which can be a strain.

I would suggest giving them a go for the trial, and see how you get on.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Well, part of the reason I'm considering to switch is because I have no social life on my current shifts. I work 4pm-10pm, so I'm off during the day when everybody else is at work, and I never really get anything done because I get up late and need to leave about 3, so I spend the free hours during the day thinking it's not worth starting anything properly because I have to go to work. Then, when I get home about 11 everybody else has gone to bed. So, I only get to see people on Saturday and Sundays...and that's pretty much the only time I get to go on a bike ride as well (just lack motivation before work, and don't really like going out on my own). With having 5 or 6 nights off (even if I'm expecting to feel dead for the first day) at least I would still get to see people - even if they are working, I could meet up in the afternoon/evening (and while I'm on, I'm quite happy to resign myself to just work and sleep for 3-4 days...). So yes, on paper it certainly sounds tempting...

got-to-get-fit

i work shifts, i have done for 17yrs.

My advise is dont do it.
It screws up your body clock, makes you tired all the time, makes you grumpy and irritable, ****s with your skin, metabolism, and eating patterns.
You eat convenient crap food at odd hours of the day, feel hungry when you shouldnt, exercise less + get big black shadows under your eyes.

I have recently re-trained as a safety professional just so i could get a regular 9-5 job. I start at end of Novemeber and cant wait.

Shifts should come with a health warning

punkypossum said:
Well, part of the reason I'm considering to switch is because I have no social life on my current shifts. I work 4pm-10pm, so I'm off during the day when everybody else is at work, and I never really get anything done because I get up late and need to leave about 3, so I spend the free hours during the day thinking it's not worth starting anything properly because I have to go to work.

I'd give it a try if I were you. Until recently I was working from around midday through to whenever the work was all finished (normally eight or nine at night, but sometimes later). I jumped at the chance to start at three or four AM and finish around midday because it's much better to have your free time after work than before.
From the replies on this thread, it suits some people and not others. I'd hate having a normal 9-5 job.

c2c

redredrobin
i ride to work, and do a treble day shift pattern, ie 6-2, 2-10, 10-6 nights. the various health related problems shift working is quoted as causing aside, one benefit, is that i never ride in rush hour traffic, and quite often when the roads are relatively tranquil. lot less traffic fumes too. the ride home at 6am in the summer, when the sun is rising, is one i really enjoy.

Noodley

I used to work nights. 7 nights, 2 off, 7 late, 2 off, 7 early, 2 off. I hated late and early shifts. I loved nights. And the shifts in OP would be superb. Not really working at all with the days off...

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Well, one of the night guys is finally handing in his notice at the end of the month - I'm going to give it a go, might not get it anyway (apparently there is a waiting list for nights, so loads of people will be going for it), but it can only be better than the totally unsocial 4pm-10pm 5 days a week I'm doing now!

punkypossum said:
Well, one of the night guys is finally handing in his notice at the end of the month - I'm going to give it a go, might not get it anyway (apparently there is a waiting list for nights, so loads of people will be going for it), but it can only be better than the totally unsocial 4pm-10pm 5 days a week I'm doing now!

I came off my afternoon shift to do nights proper when we started back at work after Christmas. I was starting around 9pm and finishing anywhere between 4 and 8am. The work was better, but after a few weeks I was getting some adverse comments about how unhealthy I looked ("you look like you've been dead a week", etc.) and I found I was getting home on Saturday morning, sleeping through the day, then waking up around 6pm. Whereupon I'd try and have a normal evening with Ms RT, but would instead find myself fast asleep on the sofa by about 10, back in bed by 10.30 and wide awake by maybe 3am Sunday. It does play havoc with your life, especially if you're older than around 30.

Noodley

My line manager has recently told me (after I had applied for another job due to it being closer to home - I later withdrew my application) that I could look at 'flexible working' arrangements. I think I might ask for the option of night working every now and then to be considered. I could then cycle in, work overnight then cycle home as everyone else arrived for work. And I bet I would get many days work done in one night! I might just mention this tomorrow.

Top Bottom