No Country For Old Men

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackandblue

I know I'm a bit behind the times but I only got round to watching this film last night.

It started slow but picked up nicely and was then very exciting but suddenly it ended and I felt a little cheated. I was expecting something a little more conclusive.

Anybody else see this and think it was fantastic and had the best ending they'd ever seen? If so, can you tell me why and maybe I'll understand better and then consider that I have enjoyed the film more than I think I have at the moment.

Radius

SHREDDER
I really did think it was very good.
It was a while ago I saw it, and I'd like to see it again, but I remember not understanding the end at first and then realising that it was carefully crafted to mirror something, which I can't remember, possibly to do with his father. It appears to be out of place but actually is clever...

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

I enjoyed the pace of it eventually. I thought it was beautifully shot and very well acted. Javier Bardem was awesome (even more so having seen him first in Vicky Christina Barcelona). I also thought the way there was no background music/soundtrack was especially effective.

Maybe I should have been paying more attention to Tommy Lee Jones narrative at the beginning to understand the end.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I didn't really like it myself. It was rather black and unsatisfactory. Even blacker than Chinatown, which was pretty black. It reminded me of that scene in Spinal Tap when they were discussing the album cover of Smell The Glove: "It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." Some threads came to a sudden halt, some petered out,and the ending was rather grim. I suppose that might be more like real life, but I don't think anyone could go on a killing spree like that without it being international news and he police catching up with him.

yello

I think the only thing that spoiled it for me was the hype which led to an expectation. It is a good film, but just not that good.

I only saw it a few weeks ago and I was really enjoying it till the end, that spoiled it IMO.

radger

Veteran
I loved it, and would like to see it again. The same weekend we watched that, we also got "There Will be Blood" out, which I thought was a load of old toot and wouldn't watch again if you paid me.

radger said:
The same weekend we watched that, we also got "There Will be Blood" out, which I thought was a load of old toot and wouldn't watch again if you paid me.
That was one of the films on the plane when I came back from Oz, it looked OK at first but it seemed to drag on and on; I lost interest and went to sleep instead and when I awoke I watched something else.

Mr Pig

Talking of good films, I bought 'Apocalypse Now' the other week. Some of these old classic films date quite badly but 'Apocalypse Now' is still a great film by any standards.

Wolf04

Brilliant film, already in my all time top ten (that makes 25). On first viewing I like others was somewhat disappointed with the ending which apparently stays true to the original book. After watching it several times however I wouldn't change anything about it. For me the best Coen brother's movie since Fargo and quite possibly their best.

Priscilla Parsley

loved it, but didnt enjoy it. I found the end quite challenging becuase it wasn't what I wanted and was against a lot of movie cliches that can be comforting. there was no payoff after sitting through a tense cat and mouse. I saw it at the cinema and I still think about all those months later. but no where near as horrific and tense as Funny Games (origional not seen the US version yet).

Top Bottom