No Country For Old Men

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
eldudino said:
I must admit, the thought of Brad Pitt being in it put me off a bit. I still can't bring myself to watch the final quarter of Jesse James because he annoyed me so much!

I'm with you there! What a pile of tripe that was! Still, Babel is elevated by the superb performance of Cate Blanchett (is that how you spell it?) and a cracking story.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Mr Pig said:
Yes, he was very good. Thought the film sucked though. Kinda like they tried to do another Fargo but it didn't come off as well.

I agree about Pitt but disagree about the film. It was one of the funniest things I have seen for ages, until I realised, once again, I was laughing at a really warped view of humanity. But good film makers will draw you into their worlds and seduce you into accepting their values...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
PaulB said:
Babel is elevated by the superb performance of Cate Blanchett (is that how you spell it?) and a cracking story.

Now that was pretentious bollocks and full of rather dodgy stereotypes (the Japanese subplot in particular). Just like 21 Grams - horrible, pseudo-meaningful crap. I have a real problem with films that tell you how to feel so overtly.

Nick is right - I think we could all go into the cinema and see completely different films every time.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
PaulB said:
I'm with you there! What a pile of tripe that was! Still, Babel is elevated by the superb performance of Cate Blanchett (is that how you spell it?) and a cracking story.

I'll check it out. I'm annoyed that I didn't like Jesse James; Casey Affleck stole it for me, I thought he was great and the cinematography was cracking. I'll maybe give it another shot at some point.

What are people's opinions on Wes Anderson films? I've got to say I love them all.

just jim

I find it hard to "accept" Coen brothers films, poignant and bleak in places though they are. Maybe because they are quite overproduced at times, or the participants indulge in too much gurning to camera.
I thought "Blood Simple" very good, the first, very stripped down Coen feature.

Top Bottom