Nolf - Unexplained death at Qatar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
CotterPin said:
Posted on the other thread about this topic that young athletes have died because of undetected heart defects and the efforts being made to reduce the risk.

I can understand Nolf's father's wishes but I think that it could have been helpful (and meant that the young man's death wasn't totally pointless) if an autopsy did take place to see if it was the same problem.

On the other hand, the fact that he was Belgian did raise a few suspicions in my mind, especially after reading "Dog in a Hat" over Christmas which implies that doping is endemic in Belgian cycling. :biggrin:

spot on imo.

gavintc

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
spot on imo.

Yes, sad. Regrettably, his Dad has now guaranteed that a question will remain over his son's namer. He could have cleared his name and allowed him to be remembered as a young man who died at the start of his career. Unfortunate.

wafflycat

CotterPin said:
Posted on the other thread about this topic that young athletes have died because of undetected heart defects and the efforts being made to reduce the risk.

I can understand Nolf's father's wishes but I think that it could have been helpful (and meant that the young man's death wasn't totally pointless) if an autopsy did take place to see if it was the same problem.

On the other hand, the fact that he was Belgian did raise a few suspicions in my mind, especially after reading "Dog in a Hat" over Christmas which implies that doping is endemic in Belgian cycling. ;)

Couldn't have put it better. As a parent, I can understand Nolf's father's wish, but also as a parent - I'd want to know if someone had been giving my son dope...

Tetedelacourse

I think there are two issues here:

1. Is there a necessity to find out the reason for the death of someone in these circumstances - otherwise fit and no signs of ill-health the day before etc?

2. Do we believe the verdict of the doctors in Qatar?

People seem to be confusing the two.

My tuppence is that there must ALWAYS be a necessity to investigate a sudden and unexpected death like this. On the question of the verdict, any fan of cycling would surely be in denial if EPO didn't cross their mind upon hearing this news. Maybe more a reflection on my view of the sport than generally held views though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
User76 said:
Nothing will bring him back, so why risk the possibility of him being remembered for anything other than his promise?
To try and reduce the likelihood of other young men ending up the same way? (If he was up to no good, that is, and we will never know unless an autopsy is performed.)

wafflycat

User76 said:
People don't give other people dope. Someone takes it. It's a small distinction, but important. One makes a choice to dope, nothing else.

If you're in an environment where dope is on offer and many around you are taking it, it takes a very, very strong will to resist the peer pressure, the pressure from bosses to 'perform' Yes, the ultimate 'no' rests with the individual, but the environment and people around bring pressures to bear.

yenrod

I feel the father doesnt want his sons name dirtied if he has got anything in his system yet at the same time...natural is natural !

Moderators

Legendary Member
Out of respect to Nolf the remainder of this thread can now be found at http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=27708.

No posts have been deleted or altered and the debate itself is perfectly reasonable, but until the facts are known it's considered best to keep the two threads separate.

As you were.

Top Bottom