Noob - tyre advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whrrr

Hi,

I've just inherrited a Raleigh Pioneer from my dad. It's in excellent condition, must be about 10 - 15 years old and has had very little use. I've started to use it for my 14-mile round trip daily commute and I've come to the conclusion that I need to ditch the nobbly deep-tread tyres and go for some puncture-resistant Armadillos or similar.

The current tyres are 700 x 35C (37-622 ISO). I can't find Armadillos of this size, but only ones of 23, 25, 28 sizes. Can I use one of these sizes on the same rims or will I need narrower ones? The current rims are 18 x 622 (28 x 1 5/8"), according to the numbers on the rim.

Will I need to upgrade the inner tubes due to a higher pressure?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Mark

jimboalee

28 should be OK.

A new pair of tubes would be a good idea.

BTW, you jammy sod :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
28 will be fine. If the internal rims are 18mm as it says on them according to Sheldon Brown etc 25 will also be in the lower allowed sensible range.

Ivan Ardon

I have a Pioneer that I found abandoned in pieces in a hedge.

You're right to ditch the original tyres, they're slow and heavy. I'm currently running a 28mm Michelin Dynamic on the back, and a 25mm Kenda on the front as I had them lying around. Both fit OK, although the 25mm was a bit of a struggle compared to the 28. The 28mm Dynamic looks better proportioned to the bike.

I used the original tubes, although thinner ones would have made fitting the 25mm tyre easier. I had no problems fitting the 28mm with the original tube.

It's made a vast difference to how the bike rides, far smoother, faster and quieter.

OP
OP
W

Whrrr

Thanks for the advice. I've gone for the 28s and they should arrive this week. Should be interesting to feel the difference...

Top Bottom