Nosey G**s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I had a very rare occasion today to visit my bank in order to cash my own cheque. Not a huge sum of money in modern terms, but only cash would do for the job.

On presenting it to the cashier, she asked me to write on the back precisely what I intended to do with the cash. I initially thought she was joking, but no. She insisted that staff had been ordered to obtain this information from all customers who drew substantial sums of cash. Equally I insisted that it was none of the bank's business what I intended to do with my own money. She then threatened to refuse my cheque.

Now just what the flamin' 'eck is going on here?

Have any of you fine lads and lasses ever been requested for this information??

Arch

Married to Night Train
I hope you wrote something suitably shocking, like "visiting a lady of the night"...

Bizarre, I've never heard of that. Probably allowed under 'anti terrorism' or something, yeah, coz you're likely to write "buying bombmaking chemicals" if that's true.

Anyway, how do they know if you lie or not? Unless they follow you until you spend it.

Bill Gates

Unbelievable!

Not heard of that one before. I have an old business account that I kept open which doesn't have a cash card. Normally I transfer money over the internet but recently I had to cash a cheque and was asked why I didn't have a card as it would be easier to get cash. You won't give me one I replied. Oh, Well does anyone here know you? No why should they I replied. There is my cheque and you've got my ID (driving licence), picture and address.

Finally got my (not theirs) money.

dodgy

It's justified under Anti Money Laundering laws "know your customer". Although moving money by cheque probably isn't the smartest way to avoid money laundering laws ;)

Bman

Guru
I wouldnt tell them.. then ask to close my account instead of withdrawing a bit of money.

What I do with my money is my business.

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
zimzum42 said:
So. What are you doing with the cash?

And what did you say you were doing?

I told them I was going to buy a huge pile of toilet rolls which the cashier would not accept! A supervisor eventually appeared and gave her permission to cash the cheque.

What am I doing with the cash?........same as my reply to the bank; "none of your business":biggrin:

Oh, I have fired off a letter of complaint demanding to know the legal justification for the information.

Gerry Attrick said:
I told them I was going to buy a huge pile of toilet rolls which the cashier would not accept! A supervisor eventually appeared and gave her permission to cash the cheque.

What am I doing with the cash?........same as my reply to the bank; "none of your business":biggrin:

Oh, I have fired off a letter of complaint demanding to know the legal justification for the information.

Let us know of the outcome! ;)

TVC

I've never been asked withdrawing money, but I've had occasion to pay in a couple of large cheques which they queried.

I went into my local branch with with a cheque representing half my mothers estate. It was obviously a large sum, but instead of asking me to talk to one of her collegues quietly about it she spouted so every one could hear "Why do you have such a large cheque?. Slightly miffed I replied equally as audibly "Because my Mother died, Why?"
Maybe a little more tact next time.

One of my many job titles is Anti Money Laundering Officer. It never ceases to amaze me just how much other financial institutions make up completely obscure & daft reasons for storing totally irrelevant information which has nothing to do with preventing financial crime.

Sadly, I think your complaint letter will simply produce a waffly reply trying to justify themselves.

Wolf04

Gerry Attrick said:
Perhaps, just perhaps Arch may have hit it on the nail

Got to be the stupidest thing I've heard of in awhile, what possible use can it serve other than to cheese their customers off? Criminals will be shaking in their boots worrying how to circumvent this cunning trap.
Perhaps we should have a competition for the best response:
Answers on the back of a cheque and send to Wolf04 c/o Barclays, Segadunum. :-)

Top Bottom