Not fitting in with the modern world

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I can agree with most of what you say, but the tapping away on phones and not paying attention to the speaker is a big no no for me.

In the good old days the teacher would've launched the board rubber at you. :biggrin:
One of my clients at work sat in front of me tapping away on their phone, totally oblivious to the fact that I had stopped talking and was waiting, and waiting :angry:.
So I got my phone out, sat back in my chair, put my feet up on the desk and started my own tapping. This got their attention, never did it again.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Embrace being "mature", it has its advantages. No-one cares about being trendy any more, at 53 I can safely wear M&S jeans with whatever shoes come to hand, and I can dress up warm for the weather rather than going to the pub in January rain with just a shirt on my upper half - because it's "cool".

I can speak the Queens English without using words like awesome, cool, douchebag, goofball, and other such nonsense that just sound pathetic from anyone over 30.

As for technology, this internet thing is about my limit. I work as an HGV driver so the only technology I need to know about is maybe my satnav, and figuring out how to tune in the radio on different makes of lorries. Facebook and similar social media things, I just find annoying and pointless - and I did try FB a long time ago.

You have to get with the times. I have one of those wrist-based wearable devices with apps and things. It has really changed my life. It has a time app and date app. It is powered by kinetic energy which is totally free and green.

Next I think I'm gonna try one of them small shiny new LP records. I'll get the latest Beatles album on it.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
I make fb work for me.
I wouldn't have found the local Skyrides without it or the new Salford Cycle Club.
The local free newspaper is no longer delivered around here, I think it's because they can't find people willing to deliver it for peanuts.But I do find out about all sorts of local information and events from fb.

U

User32269

Never fitted in when I was young...now I still don't fit in, just need to pee more!
Having kids as an old codger was supposed to keep me younger, has just worn me out quicker!
The only plus point is the entertainment that comes from embarrassing my big lad by saying "cool" when his mates are here.

Brandane

Legendary Member
One of my clients at work sat in front of me tapping away on their phone, totally oblivious to the fact that I had stopped talking and was waiting, and waiting :angry:.
So I got my phone out, sat back in my chair, put my feet up on the desk and started my own tapping. This got their attention, never did it again.
A pet hate of mine (and I get more pet hates as I get older) is one mate of mine who I sometimes arrange to meet for a pint. Every time his phone rings, he has to leave the pub and answer it. Every text has to be replied to, there and then; and usually it's his wife, who he only left at home an hour previously. I know my company is boring pal, but he is a slave to that phone! Mine gets switched off, ignored, or heaven forbid - left at home.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A pet hate of mine (and I get more pet hates as I get older) is one mate of mine who I sometimes arrange to meet for a pint. Every time his phone rings, he has to leave the pub and answer it. Every text has to be replied to, there and then; and usually it's his wife, who he only left at home an hour previously. I know my company is boring pal, but he is a slave to that phone! Mine gets switched off, ignored, or heaven forbid - left at home.

I have a friend like that. We used to go out on sixty mile rides together but the breaks were regularly punctuated with his phone calls to his wife updating her on his progress, what he was about to eat, where we were going next, estimated time of arrival and what asking was for tea that night.

I can't imagine I'll ever just let go and no longer keep up or be interested in the way things change and I bet those who say they feel left behind have actually embraced a lot more than they imagine.

Top Bottom