Not for love or money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve been there. Until you have to deal/ cope with it yourself, you think it’s just a confused old person telling you same story over and over again.

:hugs:

Yep... And then friends and family seem to just vanish into the ether just when you could do with a bit of a break, so you end up having to deal with it without any support. It's 24/7 and it's bloody murder.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Bank, office, arms dealing, sales, driving.

"Sales" covers a lot of areas.
Pre 1982 I had enjoyable jobs in outside sales.
When the '82 recession hit I had a go at car sales. Hated it, detested it. Lasted 6 months.
Got back into outside sales and had a successful and enjoyable 20 years.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember one in Great Harwood that I used to visit for work.

Turn off the M65 at the junction for the industrial estate where Karrimor used to be, upto the main road and turn right instead of going into the estate, about half a mile on turn left at a crossroads, then it was up the hill and off to the left somewhere.

At least 15 years since I last went there, but I've been in quite a few others and the staff have a similar attitude.

That'll be the one I'm on about. Slingers it was called, then it had a few name changes. https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/animal-slaughterhouse-closure-paves-way-25321025
It was next to Great Harwood Town FC's ground and the pill popping :wacko: night club Monroe's, which got torched by a local resident who was sick of the late night till the early hours noise. The slaughter house is still there, but the footy ground is now not yet completed houses.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I would not do a job as a nuclear waste disposal technician for love nor money.

I've rejected a couple of work assignments on the decom of Sellafield. Working with IT, not with anything "hot".
Distance from home was my problem, I never got as far as considering safety!

As a school kid I did a walk round a reactor hall, and I *think* we stood on top of the core.
There wasn't much to see; this video is far more interesting, especially from 6 minutes in : Inside a research reactor

oldwheels

Legendary Member
On reflection I am not too good at dealing with the general public and in particular retail sales.
I remember doing a stint in our own shop when I concluded that 85% of customers were perfectly reasonable, 10% were difficult but manageable and the rest should have been strangled at birth.
One example was the one who donned a hat sideways on his head and danced around the shop to the encouragement and amusement of his pals.
They were not amused when I told them in no uncertain terms to f—- off.
As part owner and not an employee I was free to do this.

Gillstay

Über Member
I would hate to be strimming grass verges with all the dog shite. One chap I spoke with reckoned that anyone wanting to keep a dog should have to taste some dog muck first .

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I couldnt work in a slaughterhouse or even in the offices and the same goes for an animal research facility. No chance. I knew someone who took an admin job at a place that did animal research and she didnt know, she wasnt told at interview. Anyway, she got harrassed, threatened, followed, you name it. She gave it up.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I know that there are almost limitless vacancies nowadays, but I really don't want any job that involves telling all and sundry how bloody awful everything is.

presta

Guru
I once went to stay with someone in St Albans so I could go into work with him in London to see how certain of our company products were being used there. We got up really early to catch a crowded commuter train in. Then we went down into a crowded tube station and onto a very busy tube train. We then caught a really packed bus... By the time we got to our destination I felt knackered and that was before the working day had even started! And of course, it was the same thing in reverse at the end of the day
I remember a ride on that line: from Watford for a Saturday out in London with a couple of mates. Laughing and joking the way mates do, there was a girl sat opposite me who couldn't possibly not overhear us, but she was fighting to keep a straight face so as not to look like she was earwigging on someone else's conversation. It was really cute, and I was tempted to see if I could get her phone number, but I didn't fancy commuting 60m to see a girlfriend as much as I fancied her. ^_^
Another time I got a lift to Brighton to watch the Tour de France stage that finished there. We got caught in heavy traffic on the M25 on the way back and barely moved for an hour. I got really stressed by it. The driver laughed and said that he often spent hours in his car in heavy near-stationary traffic. Just chill out with the radio on. NO THANKS... I'll stick to life in the sticks!
When I was a teenager I was counting off the days till I could have a car, so when I passed my test I jumped straight into the car and joined the traffic jams. I couldn't have cared less about the queues, I just loved being in my car. My commute was variously 12 to 14m, depending on location, and around 2m of that was queue. I once did it on completely empty roads at 1am, and it took 20 minutes compared to the usual 40-45mins. Commuting by train, the home journey entailed 45 mins kicking my heels on the platform waiting for the train.

Top Bottom