Not so Retro Raleigh Road Bike Build....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonR

I've been posting lots of questions in the Know How section of this forum while building this bike and I thought I'd post a few pics up.

It started with the purchase of this Raleigh frame:

Frame.jpg

And the intention to build a low-budget retro racer out of parts that I took off a couple of other bikes that I had but in the end it's turned into basically an old frame and lots of not-so-retro shiny new parts!

I half built it:

IMG_1930.jpg

Then discovered that the wheels I had were too big so it has undergone rather a transformation into this:

IMG_1934.jpg

I just need to re-cover the suede saddle and wait for the brakes to arrive before fitting them and wrapping the bars.

I'll post a pic when it's done!

Many thanks to all who have helped me with really prompt answers to all my questions (and to my girlfriend for allowing me to build it in the kitchen and polish components on our diningroom table!) - can't wait for it to be finished.

All the photos I've taken so far are here.

RedBike

I'm not sure if I like those wheels or not but they certainly suit that bike.

I can't read the logos because of the font, what are they?

OP
OP
S

SimonR

Yeah - I really love the wheels!! They're perhaps a little bling though.

They're made by Rodi, who make wheels for Bontrager, Giant, Bianchi and Vuelta.

Hopefully they'll look OK once I've fitted the Modolo brakes and taped the bars.

I was going for the white 80's look!

OP
OP
S

SimonR

Haha - I'm not sure if anyone cares but I've now all-but finished the build - just waiting for the pedals to arrive.

The brakes arrived this morning so that enabled me to fit them this evening, adjust everything and wrap the bars. I've also re-covered the original Royale GT saddle with natural suede, as per original spec in the '80s - it feels great to ride on.

The bike weighs 10.8kg, probably marginally less once the new pedals are on.

It rides beautifully and feels just as I wanted to - hope you like the pics!

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

OP
OP
S

SimonR

Haha - thanks for kind words folks.

I've changed the pedals and added mudguards which are essential if it's going to be used for commuting.

Oh - and the saddle - I like it!! It's that colour because if I had bought dyed suede (as opposed to natural) then the dye would come off on my trousers. Not a good look ;-) Besides that's original spec for that Italian Royale GT saddle and it's still really comfortable 25 years later!

Final pictures are below:

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's blingy !!!

Top Bottom