Numpty home network question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hello Electric Cafe peeps...
I'm going to replace our desktop (currently using a borrowed one; ours died) with a lappy. I'm also going to change broadband provider. Chosen lappy and provider, but I'm a bit confused about setting up wireless internet access.
We'll get a router form the broadband provider, and I've been looking on their website about how to set things up (I won't be doing this for a few weeks yet...). The site mentions the yellow ethernet cable, which seemingly plugs into the router... where does the other end go? If it goes into the lappy, then it isn't wireless? Generally ok with computer software, but never done the wireless set up before... ;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
You'll need to connect it to the lappie to configure it for wireless, I suspect. After that (i.e. putting in details of allowed MAC addresses etc.) you should be able to unplug and not use it.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
alecstilleyedye said:
what sort of router? the belkin one i have can do it all wirelessly from the off…
This is indeed a possibility too - it just means that out of the box it's a security hole until you've plugged it (i.e anyone can connect and control it as it will be a simple 'admin' + 'password' type combination to enter the administration panel wirelessly).

Top Bottom