Odd Lump in Calf Muscle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiefwiggum

After Sundays ride I noticed a lump on my calf muscle it is round and obvious when the musckle is tensed. It is about 5mm high and the size of a 10p. There is no pain when pressed but it does not go away, it feels smooth and does not seem to be a problem. Could it be just a knot in the muscle or another type of injury, I played reasonable club rugby for many years and do not recall seeing a similar bump. Is this something anyone else has encountered?

No sorry its not some thing I have encountered but getting it looked at by you doc is a good idear mate

walker

your pace maker hasn't dropped has it?:biggrin:

it sounds like a build up of fluid, which in some cases just has to be cut out. its best to go to the Doctor just in case it could be something very serious

OP
OP
Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum

Thanks for the replies, I guess I knew a trip to the GP was on the cards but like most blokes think it's just going to hassle them when there are more needy cases needing attention. I know it's not my pacemaker as I normally just carry a car battery and jump leads for the hills!

Bigtallfatbloke

does it reduce/disappear when you hold your leg up higher than your heart?
If it's a hard lump I say GP asap.,,just to be on safe side and for peace of mind etc.

Bodhbh

Guru
I had one in exactly the same place several years ago. I saw the GP who told me it was probably a swollen lymph node and nothing to worry about. They sometimes enlarge if your body is fighting an infection, particularly if you've been cut, or bitten in the area, then disappear over a couple of weeks once it's been dealt with. Still best to have it looked at as very rarely can be something more serious.

Currently have a very large one on my shoulderblade that appeared last couple of weeks, getting on for a couple of inches in diameter. I'd be going spare if I didn't have the problem b4, but recently been eaten alive by ticks, mossies, horseflys, bedbugs and good knows what after walking in the highlands, so pretty sure it's just a reaction to that. Still will get it checked out to be sure.

02GF74

Über Member
ooh spooky!!!

Couple year ago I noticed a large lump near my shoulder. Went to the doctors who examined it and said it was nothing to worry about as it is my head.

OP
OP
Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum

Well, I've had a trip to the Gp, who found the lump interesting as he had only seen one other similar lump in his career, 20 years +. I have been referred to an Othopedic Consultant for an investigation and told not to woory unduly so wait and see I guess.

OP
OP
Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum

Well I have now seen a consultant and he has diagnosed an intermuscular tumour and arranged an MRI. He has said it is not something too worry about but it needs to be investigated fully. He also expalined that tumour is latin for lump and that it could be anything from a ruptured calf muscle to a fatty deposit.

Top Bottom