Oh dear...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

Yesterday morning was spent marshalling for our local triathlon event. There I was stood standing at the side of the road directing competitors past my 'point' which last year had been a turn.

When a bloke wobbles to a stop and tells me he has punctured, and asks what he can do.

I had to advise him I could help but would need to tell the race director, so I tells him to get the tyre off whilst I get my spare tube out and set about putting some air in it.

I told him to up end the bike, which he does, the bottle falls out the cage and promptly breaks at the teat pouring energy drink all over the road:ohmy:!

I look round to see this chap prising the tyre off the rim, but the wheel is still in the frame:ohmy:.

I tell him he needs to take the wheel out first, the bloke looks rather sheepishly at me and then tells me he doesn't know how to.

I set about removing the wheel, giving him a guide on how to do it next time.

Tube in, tyre on, wheel back on.

Bike back on its wheels, then he tells me he has a flat front tyre too:angry: FFS do it all again.

Any way less than 10 minutes and he's on his way with a promise of replacing the tubes by leaving some behind the counter at the LBS...I wonder if he will?

How can it be that someone can go out on a bike and not have a scooby doo how to do something as basic as change a tube?

The blood goes to the legs and leaves the brain a bit short.

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Paulus said:
Under tri. rules, aren't the competitors supposed to do the repairs themselves?

Technically yes,under BTA rules, but as he stopped where I was, I took pity, luckily I had ridden out to the event, and had two spare tubes (good job I didn't puncture on my way home) I did call the race director and made him aware, as the guy wasn't a contender for a top spot, the director let it go without imposing a penalty.

I wonder what he would have done if he had punctured after the next turn, there wouldn't have been a marshal for another mile and it was all uphill!

TVC

Whilst circumnavigating Rutland Water on foot last saturday I came accross a triathlon:

1.2km swim / 90km bike / 21km run.

Mental the lot of 'em:rolleyes:, and looking on the website they all paid £100 for the right to almost kill themselvesxx(;)

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Does the phrase, "All the gear, no idea" ring any bells?

The Velvet Curtain said:
Whilst circumnavigating Rutland Water on foot last saturday I came accross a triathlon:

1.2km swim / 90km bike / 21km run.

Mental the lot of 'em:rolleyes:, and looking on the website they all paid £100 for the right to almost kill themselvesxx(:sad:

RUUDDY Hell! I travelled Lancaster to London by train for £36, first class.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've met loads of people who 'dabble' in triathlons, or duathlons... I'm not talking about people who do them regularly, seriously, but folks who are fairly fit and try one out... most seem to be fairly good runners, decent swimmers and fit enough to cycle a bike for the required distance, but lacking in knowledge beyond that of the average bod in the street with regard to bikes/cycling. One fella spent 10 mins or so outlining to me how his full sus mtb would be an advantage... I just smiled benignly and let him ramble on...

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Surely most people tinkered with bikes as kids! even if they sat there and let mum or dad change a puncture they should know the rough routine.

It amazes me how some folk don't fall over more!

Will1985

Über Member
The Velvet Curtain said:
Mental the lot of 'em:rolleyes:, and looking on the website they all paid £100 for the right to almost kill themselvesxx(:biggrin:
It's £280 for Ironman UK and $550 for Kona! Triathlon is expensive - I think a lot of it goes towards insurance and transition security. They seem to throw in a lot of "freebies" and event apparel as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
...which they get free from the sponsors!

Some people are really clueless. I remember offering to push a bloke whose car wouldn't start. I got him moving down a slight hill but he didn't dump the clutch so I ran alongside his window to tell him to get on with it.... and the stupid pillock was sitting turning the ignition key! This was someone middle aged who you'd expect to know how to start a car with a duff battery.

Top Bottom