Oh no! I can't watch this!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
snapper_37 said:
A water logged pigeon is perched on the fence, possibly hurt. It's allowing me to go right up to it without moving. I was thinking of grabbing it ... but what would I do with it??

It's mate is around watching but ..... guess what is lurking and stalking and getting ready for the pounce. :becool: :ohmy:

I've tried to shoo the cat off but it keeps coming back.

I can't believe next doors are just pratting around in the kitchen watching the scene! :sad:

It's not a fair fight (ok, ok they're rats with wings but even so). :biggrin:

It's just nature. Either rescue the bird (I know, it's all over now, anyway), and do something with it (RSPCA?), or let nature take it's course. One less pigeon is hardly going to dent the population.

A friend and I rescued a canary last year. Found it under a shrub while collecting the recycling, all puffed up and looking ropey. Took it back to work in an old tin, transferred it to a box, gave it water, took it home, gave it some trill, two days later was able to hand it over to a chap at work who had an aviary - it was chirping away and quite better. You could always have put the bird in a box out of harms way, given it a little water to drink and left it overnight to see if it got better. My mum did it with a racing pigeon who flew into the garage wall and stunned itself. Put the old guinea pig run over it to keep the cats off, next day it flew off, right as rain.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Yes, I would have grabbed it and put it into a box as a last resort. Did the same last year with an injured female black bird.

I know it's nature, I just don't want it as I enjoy having the birds about.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
We came home one day last August to find a sparrowhawk with a broken wing sat on our doorstep, it saw us then started to run off so I went inside, got my winter gloves on and set about trying to catch it. It managed to wedge itself into a gap between the hedge and the railings so I grabbed it. It then calmed down and we put it in the rabbit box (no rabbit in there I might add) and called the SSPCA (like RSPCA but in Jockland). They came out the following morning and took it but said it was a very bad break and because it was a common bird they would have to put it down. I'd already phoned a local bird sanctuary and had the same reply, unfortunately unless it was something rare then they don't attempt to fix them up as the bones rarely heal well enough for the bird to be returned to the wild. It was unfortunate but the best thing for it.

We tend to get quite a lot of wildlife in our garden being next to farmland, the most upsetting was a baby rabbit with mixi we found dying, I had to put it out of its misery which didn't feel great but sometimes it's for the best.

Top Bottom