Olympics versus Worlds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

Apologies - long post alert:

From the Sports Personality of the Year thread:
Cloverleaf said:
Sorry guys but you've all missed the most important medals won by British cyclists this year:

Gee Atherton
Mens Downhill World Champion
3rd Overall World Cup series

Rachel Atherton -
Womens Downhill World Champion
1st Overall World Cup series

Josh Bryceland
Junior Mens Downhill World Champion
1st Overall World Cup series
Dave5N said:
All due respect to them but in what way are these the most important medals won by British cyclists this year - compared, say, to Hoy's three Olympic Golds?
John the Monkey said:
Or Cooke's unprecedented World Road and Olympic Road (in the same year) double?
This is interesting, as it coincides with something I have been thinking about recently.

How important are the Olympics really?

Now, I know that they are the great quadrennial sporting event that everyone wants to be at their peak for, and in sports like athletics or swimming I can see why. But when it comes to cycling... what's the point?

To me the prestige afforded to the Olympic cycling events does not chime with much actual sporting significance. The one pull of the Olympics that I can see is that as so many riders target it, it invariably has a very strong field in any given event and so pits the best against each other. But so do many other events in non-Olympic (and Olympic) years, and I reckon it is about time we reappraised the place of the Olympics in the cycling calendar. Let's compare the Olympic Games and the World Championships.

Starting with road racing, as it is probably the discipline most followed on here. Take a look at the start lists, first of all. In the men's road race there are typically around 200 starters in the Worlds compared to only around 140 at the Olympics. Now, you could make the argument that a reduced start list means a more elite field. I disagree - there is a small but notable percentage of (no nice way of saying it) making-up-the-numbers riders in both events, but the fleshier peleton at the Worlds means more chances for someone to come from left-field, or riders escaping that the big teams aren't sure are good enough to be worth chasing or not. There is also more scope for riders from smaller nations to get together in breaks and so forth at the Worlds. But above all else, it simply means more of the sport's top athletes.

This difference is even more marked in the women's road race - while around 140 riders take to the start line at the Worlds, the Olympic field consists of 67 riders. 67! This obviously has a decimating effect on the class of the field - names were left off in Beijing like De Goede, Baccaille, Curi, Luperini, Kelly, Morfin, Fahlin etc.

The same is true in the time trial - the Olympics had 39 men and 25 women starting compared to 58 and 43 respectively at the Worlds. A bit more "padding" at the Worlds, but not much more proportionally.

There is the feeling of the Olympics that since it is only held once every four years it is somehow more special, a slighter opportunity, and therefore a more glorious win than the Worlds. Actually, I think the wait between each Olympiad works against it.

The great thing about the Worlds is that if you are a great rider, your chance will come. The course is usually suited to a classics rider, but sprinters get plenty of chances, too. Even though there are seldom pure climbers' courses, climbers will get an opportunity on the hillier courses as the cumulative effect of climbing lap after lap favours them. Even if you are injured and miss one or two championships, you are virtually guaranteed a shot at winning it at least once.

On the other hand, most riders cannot really expect to ride more than four Olympics in a career with a realistic chance of winning (I know there are the odd exceptions, but it is a broad truth). The course may only suit your style of rider once or twice. One injury, one little bit of bad luck or one off-day and that is it blown. It is true that the best riders arrive in the best shape, but sometimes things will just conspire against you. This is often held up as an attraction of the Olympics, but to me it just means that chance has a potentially skewing effect which the frequency of the Worlds cancels out.

On to the track. I simply cannot see how the Beijing Olympics, where the women got a meagre three track events, can in any way be described as the pinnacle of track racing. That is pathetic. Even the men were denied the scratch race and the kilo. What is the point in having track events if you aren't going to do them properly? The four year gap between Olympics is less of an issue due to the unchanging nature of the velodrome - but that is provided your event is still bloody in it.

Cloverleaf's view was knocked in the other thread, but what else can downhill riders do apart from win World Championships and World Cups? The only mountain-biking at the Olympics is the XC.

What all of the above shows is that regardless of how seriously any cyclist takes the Olympics, the Olympics does not take them seriously. The World Championships in road, track, mountain, BMX or cross are all about festivals of cycling and cyclists. The Olympics just tacks cycling on, and that is exactly how it feels. I see it most simply in the icons of each event; an Olympic medal, however difficult it may be to obtain, is a kind of generic symbol of sporting success, and cycling mutates itself to some degree or another in order to be eligible for them. I get the impression that some people think a silver or bronze Olympic medal is worth more than actually winning other big races. The rainbow jersey is ours. It is all about our sport as it should be. It is why Paolo Bettini's gold helmet looked kind of tacky, and why Samuel Sánchez' contention that his victory in the Olympic road race is somehow bigger than winning the Tour de France is laughable.

Now I do not want to denigrate the achievements of al Britian's Olympic cyclists, because they won tough events against top-quality fields. But I always feel that the Olympics is a bit like cycling fun-sized. Certainly regarding the road, the results aren't indicative of quality in the same way the World Championships or major classics are - I do not believe that a road racer's palmares is less complete for lacking an Olympic medal. For me the Worlds and the classics are a league above the Olympics in their importance, and the Olympic track events are just smaller, lesser versions of the World Championships.

Discuss!

Chris James

Über Member
Interesting point Skip Madness. However, I think most (if not all?) of our Olympic Champions from this year are also World Champions this year too!

Not necessarily relevant to this thread but it certainly could be relevant to the Sports Personality thread.

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

Yes, that was why I wanted to open it out into a separate thread really. What I am driving at is that the track World's was used as the testing ground (of sorts) this year for the Olympics, so sacred are the latter. I would like to see cyclists and cycling fans reassess the importance of the two relative to each other.

Chris James

Über Member
I don't much like the Olympics. However, in most sports (apart from tennis and football!) the sportsmen seem to view it as bieng the most important, so in that case I suppose it probably is.

Maybe it is improtant to them for exactly the reasons you describe? That they may only ever have one realistic shot of being Olympic champion no matter how good they are. You only have to look at Paula Radcliffe to know that the Olympics are a massive motivation for those who feel they may miss out

I still see the Olympics (and Commonwealths and Asian Games, etc, etc) as being an event for the fundamentally amateur or semi-pro athlete and event.

To me the big money stuff, the real big money stuff like tennis and football, where players earn literally millions shouldn't be in the Olympics.
Golf too is applying to be an Olympic sport.

It's wrong, not what the Olympic movement is about, to me.

Yes there are some athletes like Paula Radcliffe or Michael Phelps who can earn big bucks in prize money, appearance money, and particularly sponsorship deals with nike and the like, but it took them many years of scraping by on minor sponsorships or lottery funding, etc and that's where most athletes, swimmers, rowers, skaters, etc are at - either that or they are PT instructors in the forces.

But there are some events like road cycling or skiing which are a bit between these two extremes - they are professional sportsmen/women, but they're not in the big money league like footballers and tennis players and golfers.

For me, I'd say perhaps the track cyclists are still within the Olympic ideal of amateur sport, but road pros like Cancellara, Evans, Valverde, Bettini, etc shouldn't be.

That then leaves the road Worlds - but again, many pro cyclists don't bother with that, or treat it as some sort of one-day classic.
There have been instances of riders, even though nominally wearing jerseys of different nations, working together for one of their pro team team-mates !

Keith Oates

Janner
I also think that the Olympics are overrated and the officials are full of their own importance. The farce of building millions of pounds worth of stadiums etc. every four years is also 'obscene' IMO. We have our own World Championships and that should be the top goal for all cyclists, the same applies to football and all other sports. Leave the Olympics to Athletics and maybe swimming, the rest can be stopped. However there is no chance of this because so many people are making money out of the Olympics and we know that takes precedence over any sporting considerations or requirements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm no fan of the Olympics myself.

The difference between a sport like cycling and athletics is the the games have always been the pinnacle of achievment in the latter, but in cycling they come a long way behind a grand tour win, possibly even a win in one of the "Monuments" such as Paris Roubaix.

It was great to see us clean up in Bejing, but I think the Olympics appeals to more of the Strictly Come Dancing viewer than genuine sports fans, outside of athletics and swimming and one or two more sports.

Noodley

Smokin Joe said:
I think the Olympics appeals to more of the Strictly Come Dancing viewer than genuine sports fans...

..doesn't the host nation get to suggest a new 'sport'? Surely they wouldn't...oh feck, they would, wouldn't they! :smile:

Dave5N

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
I'm no fan of the Olympics myself.

The difference between a sport like cycling and athletics is the the games have always been the pinnacle of achievment in the latter, but in cycling they come a long way behind a grand tour win, possibly even a win in one of the "Monuments" such as Paris Roubaix.

It was great to see us clean up in Bejing, but I think the Olympics appeals to more of the Strictly Come Dancing viewer than genuine sports fans, outside of athletics and swimming and one or two more sports.

The achievements by the British cycling team in Beijing are far more important, and dare I say it, splendid, than a classic win or a Grand Tour.

Take Hoy for example: It's cycling, but a different discipline with little crossover to road racing.

Remember, bar one, every member of the GB Track team won a medal. Please don't denigrate that absolutely astonishing achievement.

I have every confidence that britain will be a very important Road cycling, BMX and indeed Mountain Biking nation in the next ten years.

Dutch and Belgians will still whip our arses at 'cross though. :smile: (Men's 'cross anyway)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The Olympics are the most important events to succeed in purely in terms of attracting funding. Cycling needed Boardman and Queally to kickstart the lottery funding and no amount of world champ success would have had that impact. The public mney requires something the public relate to and as a minority sport the Olympics are a necessary element. Cycling fans can attach whatever status they like to them, why does it matter to an individual how the wider public rank events.
It seems that road racing is also now becoming higher profile over here through the development programme which wouldn't have evolved without original track and olympic success.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Dave5N said:
The achievements by the British cycling team in Beijing are far more important, and dare I say it, splendid, than a classic win or a Grand Tour.
Take Hoy for example: It's cycling, but a different discipline with little crossover to road racing.

Remember, bar one, every member of the GB Track team won a medal. Please don't denigrate that absolutely astonishing achievement.

I have every confidence that britain will be a very important Road cycling, BMX and indeed Mountain Biking nation in the next ten years.

Dutch and Belgians will still whip our arses at 'cross though. :biggrin: (Men's 'cross anyway)
We obviously live on different planets, that one I could never agree with.

let's be honest here. much as i was delighted with the track team's medal haul we got them by "Doing a Chelsea". Had other nations had the funding our track team did the results would have been a lot different.

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

rich p said:
Cycling fans can attach whatever status they like to them, why does it matter to an individual how the wider public rank events.
My original point was that cycling fans and cyclists themselves appear to attach a lot of importance to the Olympics, though. I don't much care for the public's perception, and I fully take the points about attracting funding - but the idea that Britain's Olympics track success is more splendid than a grand tour or major classic (Dave5N's point, not yours I know) is just bizarre to me. That is not denigrating anyone's success, it is just how I see it. I don't think it is useful to compare track against road anyway, as each discipline has its own reference points. The Olympic road events don't compare to other road events, and the Olympic track events don't compare to the Worlds (I will even say the World Cup, too, although admittedly some of that may be down to anti-Olympic contrarianism - but I think it is fair).

For track cyclists to put Beijing 2008 above the Manchester Worlds 2008 when there were only three women's events in Beijing - that denigrates cycling and the success of all the riders at the Worlds in the non-Olympic events. Fortunately Victoria Pendleton is campaigning for parity in London 2012, though I don't know how likely it is.
Smokin Joe said:
"Doing a Chelsea"
Yes, this aspect of Britain's track success does not sit too well with me, I must admit (there is an interesting article on the subject by Daniel Friebe here). I am starting to support the other countries :wacko: The British dedication and professionalism is outstanding, but when the racing is not even close (and it has not been this year) then it will become boring before long. Hopefully other nations will catch up.

Dave5N

Über Member
Skip Madness said:
My original point was that cycling fans and cyclists themselves appear to attach a lot of importance to the Olympics, though. I don't much care for the public's perception, and I fully take the points about attracting funding - but the idea that Britain's Olympics track success is more splendid than a grand tour or major classic (Dave5N's point, not yours I know) is just bizarre to me. That is not denigrating anyone's success, it is just how I see it. I don't think it is useful to compare track against road anyway, as each discipline has its own reference points. The Olympic road events don't compare to other road events, and the Olympic track events don't compare to the Worlds (I will even say the World Cup, too, although admittedly some of that may be down to anti-Olympic contrarianism - but I think it is fair).

For track cyclists to put Beijing 2008 above the Manchester Worlds 2008 when there were only three women's events in Beijing - that denigrates cycling and the success of all the riders at the Worlds in the non-Olympic events. Fortunately Victoria Pendleton is campaigning for parity in London 2012, though I don't know how likely it is.

Yes, this aspect of Britain's track success does not sit too well with me, I must admit (there is an interesting article on the subject by Daniel Friebe here). I am starting to support the other countries :ohmy: The British dedication and professionalism is outstanding, but when the racing is not even close (and it has not been this year) then it will become boring before long. Hopefully other nations will catch up.

It's facile to say that BCF have just bought success.

Firstly, unlike chelsea, they have to work with the people available. We couldn't just go out and buy Theo Bos.

Secondly, it's not the money; it's what you do with it. British Athletics was funded much more generously by the lottery than cycling, and where did it get them?

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

I added the caveat about professionalism and dedication precisely to avoid saying they had simply bought success. But the money is surely the key factor in ensuring that our young riders are progressing at much faster rates than other countries' youngsters. It is not so much that "it's not the money, it's what you do with it" - it is both the money and what you do with it. The wastefulness of UK Athletics compared to British Cycling is telling, but so is the comparative sparsity of funding available to most other nations on the track.
Dave5N said:
They have to work with the people available. We couldn't just go out and buy Theo Bos.
True.

Top Bottom