"On The Beach" by Nevil Shute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Did anyone else see this film on Tuesday night and last night? * I thought it was a brilliant film. I know that the book was written by Nevil Shute. Can anyone recommend any of his other books, or films of his books.

There is a 1950's version of it, has anyone seen them both?

* It was so long that "True Movies" split it into two parts.

Noodley

Speicher said:
Did anyone else see this film on Tuesday night and last night? * I thought it was a brilliant film. I know that the book was written by Nevil Shute. Can anyone recommend any of his other books, or films of his books.

There is a 1950's version of it, has anyone seen them both?

* It was so long that "True Movies" split it into two parts.

I'd recommend reading every one of his books, he's been one of my favourite authors since I was about fifteen."Requiem for a Wren" is very moving, asd is "The Pied Piper". "In the Wet" is a great story about aeroplanes and the paranormal and "Whatever Happened to the Corbetts" is a scarily accurate story about aeriel bombardment in World War II ... written in about 1937. Hell, they're all good. I've never seen any of the films.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The version I saw last night was made in 2000 IIRC. The person who wrote the script did a brilliant job, bringing it up to date. The characters had depth, and the pace was slow, building up the tension. Sometimes if one channel shows a particular film it appears on other channels shortly afterwards.

Definitely one to look out for, and no swearing. (or at least so little, that I did not notice).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Rhythm Thief said:
His books are rather quaint, in that swearing is present, but edited. So, someone will say "I stole those mucking chickens" or "this is no ruddy good", or whatever. When I was fifteen, I genuinely thought Australian soldiers said "mucking" when they were cross.:smile:

A bit like fnugging in American films:biggrin:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
What I thought was amazing was that the book was written in about 1950?, then updated and was still an excellent plot/film.

That would be, I think, mainly the skill of Mr Shute, but also the skill of the screen writer.

I like a film with a good "plot" and oops, I was going to say "no gratuitous violence" :becool::blush::smile: (just a nuclear war) :biggrin:

I also liked "Das Boot" got the DVD, the Book (in German) but alas no t-shirt.

rustychisel

actually RT, Aussie troops abroad did say "mucking" and a good deal else, besides. Hence skylarking or blowing off steam is still known as "mucking about". As it happens, it comes from a rhyming discontinuity quite similar to cockney slang, but also quite different... in its application. I think it also becomes apparent in the love Australians have for not only vernacular but also an opposing phrase.
a redhead was almost invariably known as 'Blue'
a tall man almost invariably christened 'Tiny'
My father, who never ever touched liquor (after a near fatal experience in Canada, I believe) was forever known to his Air Force crew as "Whiskey";
and the idea is also to be found in their opponents, most of whom they had the greatest respect for (except the Japanese for historical reasons involving war crimes and atrocities). When the ANZACs and the Turks were busy killing each other on the Dardanelles the most common nickname for the enemy was a vaguely affectionate 'Johnny Turk'. Hatred was uncommon, probably as some kind of response to try and make light of the horrors.

Sorry, I could write an essay on this, and probably have.

Anyway, back to point: read all of Shute's novels many years ago, and reread many over the years. They're great simple ideas, big themes, and a real economy with words. Obviously they date a bit, but still a great read.

Top Bottom