One of the most amazing racing stories I have read...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
In Cyclingnews there is an interview with Chad Gerlach, a US rider with Amore e Vita. Chad who? Exactly. Read why you haven't heard of this guy, who vanished from the pro-circuit after early promise into life as a homeless alcoholic and crackhead. It is quite amazing, and I wish him all the best because his journey has clearly got a long way to go at the moment.

Keith Oates

Janner
Like you FM, I'd not heard of him before and was amazed that after the life he has led he can come back into racing with the pro's. I hope he makes it and that it helps him to permanently stay away from the probelms of the past

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I find it hard to get back in shape after a bad few weeks of crap food and beer, let alone 5 years of utter personal degradation... and he has managed to get back to being a pro-cyclist in less than a year. Awesome.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
yenrod said:
Once a druggy always a druggy in my eyes - but all the best to him !

Yenrod, come on - that's a pretty inappropriate comment. The whole point is that he is turning his life around. I know other people who've done this too.

montage

God Almighty
Flying_Monkey said:
Yenrod, come on - that's a pretty inappropriate comment. The whole point is that he is turning his life around. I know other people who've done this too.

Agree with FM (since this isn't P&L :wacko:)

Domestique

Über Member
Perhaps it just goes to show the level of fitness needed to be a pro athlete if you can abuse yourself like that and get back. Or is someone giving him a final payday, nearly 35 yo must be getting close to the end for most riders.
Good luck to him, but six months since he last fell off the wagon :biggrin:

Top Bottom