One Way to Carry 4 Bikes On a Family Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My preferred mode of transport is my 1977 Carlton, but my wife and I recently decided to buy a couple of entry level 'off roaders' so we could enjoy the outdoors as a family with our 2 sons (aged 16 and 11). The difficult question though was how to transport 4 bikes each weighing about 15kg on our family car. From what I could tell the most popular bike racks are roof mounted, rear door strap mounted and tow bar mounted.

One of the reasons I returned to cycling last year was to try and better manage my lower back pain, so lifting bikes onto a roof mounted rack was not an option. Also, I had visions of forgetting about the bikes as I drove under a low bridge or something similar. As for the strap mounted racks, I did not relish carrying a total weight of 60kg on a rack that was going to flex about in the wind and end up damaging the paint on my car. Also, strap mounted racks do not offer any security, so you cant leave bikes unattended on your vehicle. The only option then for me was a tow bar mounted rack and with a total nose weight limit of 75kg for my car, that limited me to racks weighing a maximum of 15kg.

Initially I decided to go with the Strada 3 bike carrier with an adapter for a 4th bike. At £380 this had to be the most expensive rack, but it fell within my 15kg weight limit and it had a number of very good features.
3658515066_cbf7f3c055.jpg

Unfortunately when it arrived, the instructions indicated that when using the 4th bike adapter it also needed to be strap mounted to the vehicle. No way was I paying all that money for a rack, plus the cost of a tow bar only to end up having to use straps. Furthermore, the straps were incompatible with vehicles containing a rear spoiler, so it had to go back. Thule also made a similar rack, but unfortunately it weighed over 20kg which would have pushed the overall weight over my 75kg nose weight limit. Unfortunately there were very few 4 bike carriers that weighed less than 15kg, but in the end I decided on the BUZZ RACK 'Moose' 4 carrier. The cost of this carrier plus a lighting board was about £140.00.
3658514992_bd2956b776.jpg

The next thing I had to get sorted out was a tow bar on my car. For that I went to Indespension (a national tow bar company) who supplied and fitted a fix tow bar (with a standard 50mm tow ball) and single electric (for the lighting board) for about £200.00.
3657675105_83f71d24da.jpg

The bike rack itself attaches to the tow bar very securely indeed and is able to tilt away from the car (even with the bikes mounted) to allow access to the rear door. The only problem however is that the retaining bolt sticking up is a little too high and doesn't allow my rear door to open. But that's not really a problem, because once the rack is attached to the tow bar, the retaining bolt is not required and can be removed all together.
3658468708_b54cef39d1.jpg
3658468530_8dafd56b35.jpg

While the rack is not being used, the horizontal bars can be folded down so the car is easier to park. Also, the mechanism which attaches the rack to the tow bar has a key so it can be locked in place.
3657674641_d7727ec988.jpg

The bikes themselves are strapped to the horizontal bars.
3658468182_061ccf9fba.jpg

And once the yellow straps have been fed through, the bikes are held pretty rigid. The only problem though is that while driving along, the bikes tend rub together and the friction does damage the paintwork on the bikes. No-matter where I place cloths to try and protect the paintwork, I always end up with new marks. Its only cosmetic and 'entry level' off-roaders are for having fun anyway (not admiring), so it doesn't really bother me, but I don't think I'd like to carry an expensive road bike this way. If anyone has any tips on how to protect the paintwork on the bikes I'd appreciate some hints.
3658467980_b272f061df.jpg

But the most important thing is that the bikes themselves are kept quite some distance away from the vehicle so there's no chance of damaging the vehicle's paintwork.
3657674355_56317cdb57.jpg

Seems to me there aren't really that many options for carrying 4 bikes with an average family car and there must be many families who would like to go out cycling together. So hopefully this post will be of help to one or two people.

All the best,
Shaun.

Mr Pig

One way to combat the bike rubbing is a trip to B&Q for some foam pipe insulation. It's like a big grey foam tube and has a line down one side. Split it along the line and you can then pop it over the bike tubes. Then use bungee cords to pull the bikes together and stop them rattling around.

46183.jpg

spaceball.gif

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We have used lengths of foam pipe insulation to put in between the bikes and sort of very large pipe cleaners that I think Mr Summerdays got from Aldi. I like the way it folds up we have one similar to the top photograph and it sticks out a long way which makes finding a good place to park a problem. Though I would say that our rack looks like it leaves better rear ward vision than that one (so 6 of one and half a dozen of the other).

Edit: Mr Pig posted at the same time... yes that's the stuff... though we have some very soft version of it - which is easy to bend and weave in and out. Darker black in colour.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need a looooooong vehicle sign.........:tongue:;)

TBH best way for lots of heavy bikes... I like roof racks, but it's just me that does the lugging, heaving and lifting....., was OK with road bikes, but not so much fun with average bikes.......like the family's machines.......:thumbsup:

Nice post Shaun.
Doesn't help me much as car nose weight is a mere 60kg and the 4 bikes weigh that alone.

Worthy of getting your post moved into the 'reviews' section or just re-post it there though.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Good post :tongue:

Its only cosmetic and 'entry level' off-roaders are for having fun anyway (not admiring), so it doesn't really bother me, but I don't think I'd like to carry an expensive road bike this way. If anyone has any tips on how to protect the paintwork on the bikes I'd appreciate some hints.
The advantage of the Strada-type of carrier is that the bikes' wheels are taking the weight of the bikes - and this is often the preferred method for delicate, sensitive (and expensive) road bikes :tongue:.

I've not seen many that can take 4 bikes, though ....

If all the family get into road biking - I guess it has to be a trailer :biggrin:

Shaun

Founder
That tow-hitch must be bloody strong to hold the bike carrier and four bikes without snapping off.

Good photo's and write-up though ... well done. :blush:

the tow bar should be able to tow a caravan - a nose weight of 70 - 85 kg is not unusual. 4 bikes @ 18kg + rack shouldn't be a problem.

Shaun

Founder
John Ponting said:
the tow bar should be able to tow a caravan - a nose weight of 70 - 85 kg is not unusual. 4 bikes @ 18kg + rack shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, sorry, hadn't thought about it like that .... ;)

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Thanks all, as suggested I stopped off at B&Q and bought some pipe lagging - it's just the thing for the job! :biggrin: Now does anyone know where I can get some touch up paint for Claud Butlers? :biggrin:

The combined weight of the bikes plus the rack does not exceed the nose weight limit on my car, however the force on the tow bar is not vertically down like with a trailer (I hope that's not a problem for the tow bar) and there's additional forces as the rack/bikes flex when the car goes over a bump.

No cycling for me this weekend, as we have our annual street party where all the neighbors on our road get together for a big feast, drinking and games :ohmy:

Shaun

Founder
Shaun said:
The combined weight of the bikes plus the rack does not exceed the nose weight limit on my car, however the force on the tow bar is not vertically down like with a trailer (I hope that's not a problem for the tow bar) and there's additional forces as the rack/bikes flex when the car goes over a bump.

Ah ha, yes, that was what I was thinking about - the forces from the bikes bouncing about on the rack would work differently than when pulling something (horizontal = trailer vs vertical = bike carrier)

Erm, I think I'll just stop there. I'm confused now! :biggrin:

There will still be a vertical force on the towbar whether it has the bike rack or is pulling a trailer.
The forces from the rack would remain vertical, more or less, barring the torque applied at the towbar due to the leverage as the bikes are not all vertically above the mounting point.
With a trailer the resultant force would change as the car moves off due to a horizontal component as it pulls it along.
Some sort of force-vector diagram would be nice to insert here if I could remember how to do one.

God, that was a geeky post. Anyone spot the engineer with the empty beer cans?

Great post Shaun! I'm looking for a future proof bike carrier for my Citreon C4 Picasso grand. (Future proof as the kids and wife hope to be cycling in the future).

I'll need to look into nose weights etc, but I think this carrier might just be what I am looking for. :biggrin:

Top Bottom