Ouch!!! Anybody had this??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Had a cracking BBQ last night .... until I was eating some lamb and felt something dig into my gum between one of my upper molars.

By 11pm last night I was crawling the walls in pain so went to the bathroom and removed the offending object, with a lot of brushing and a tooth pick. A slither of bone and gristle. It bled like anything and the side of the roof of my mouth has been swollen since and it hurts to chew.

Bought some Corsodyl and ibuprofen, it is bloody sore!!! ;) :wub:

Perhaps a brandy would sort it out? :?: ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yeah, I occasionally get bits of stuff stuck, although never as painful as that, more like an irritation you just have to try and sort out with your tongue, and it gets so that you can feel the whole inside of your mouth, if you see what I mean.

I gather it can happen a lot to herbivores - bits of vegetation, tough grass stalks etc can be amazingly resilient - you'd think the saliva would just dissolve them...

I don't know about the medicinal properties of brandy, but have one anyway (although not too many with the painkillers...)

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Thanks Arch. Have had an antibiotic (at my nurse's request). My mom's been with some rather nice bufrens from the US.

The roof of the mouth is still the same but I'm going to the dentist Friday anyway, so hopefully, one way or the other it will be sorted.

How am I going to eat my curry?!! :?: A straw might be good.

Arch

Married to Night Train
snapper_37 said:
Thanks Arch. Have had an antibiotic (at my nurse's request). My mom's been with some rather nice bufrens from the US.

The roof of the mouth is still the same but I'm going to the dentist Friday anyway, so hopefully, one way or the other it will be sorted.

How am I going to eat my curry?!! :?: A straw might be good.

That would have to be quite a runny curry. Still, you could suck rice up a grain at a time...;)

gbb

Legendary Member
snapper_37 said:
Had a cracking BBQ last night .... until I was eating some lamb and felt something dig into my gum between one of my upper molars.

By 11pm last night I was crawling the walls in pain so went to the bathroom and removed the offending object, with a lot of brushing and a tooth pick. A slither of bone and gristle. It bled like anything and the side of the roof of my mouth has been swollen since and it hurts to chew.

Bought some Corsodyl and ibuprofen, it is bloody sore!!! :smile: :smile:

Perhaps a brandy would sort it out? :?: ;)

Be thankful you didnt break a tooth...like what i did ;)

Sitting with the management / office guys in Cyprus a couple of years ago, eating grilled lamb on the bone.
Yeeeaghhhh....i yelped inside my head as a tooth broke...trying not to show it on my face :wub::biggrin:

I used to drive back to the hotel each night, passing a huge molar sign at the side of the road....local dentist. Bottled it and waited till i got home.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Good tip about the salt water, and get some Anbesol liquid, tiny bottle but its an anaesthetic and will help. Good job your going to the dentist too-get him to make sure its all out then you just need to keep it clean and let it heal. Poor you tho,sounds sorexx(X

Watch out for toothpicks too. I was using one the other day and a thin bit broke off the end and embedded itself in the gum between two teeth. Not nice. Had to fish it out with another toothpick and a pair of tweezers.

Ever since, I test the end of the blighters before use.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Not had food stuck in a gum, but a few years ago, having had a molar extracted, I was chewing on my nosh when an acute pain was felt (no it wasn't Bonj:biggrin:) and a look in the mirror revealed a sliver of tooth root sticking out of my gum. I pulled it out with tweezers, but the same thing happened a few times. My dentist said he had difficulty removing the tooth because the root had splayed outwards, and he must have left some of it inxx(.

did you really pull out bits of tooth root with tweezers gerry attrick? love a duck! i've heard of having a high pain threshold but that's just rock hard. i've got tooth ache just thinking about it ;-)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I was going to a leaving do about this time last year... had a few pints on the way, with a mate. At the do, my porcelain false front tooth fell out, into my beer. Didn't hurt at all, and I spent the evening doing Shane McGowan impressions :thumbsup: Cost a bomb to put right though... :wacko:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
velocidad said:
did you really pull out bits of tooth root with tweezers gerry attrick? love a duck! i've heard of having a high pain threshold but that's just rock hard. i've got tooth ache just thinking about it ;-)

I'd better qualify my description. I'm no stoic. The dentist explained that when he pulled out my tooth, the splayed root must have splintered. What I was pulling out were the splinters. They were not still attached to my jaw.......thanks be to the almighty!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gerry Attrick said:
I'd better qualify my description. I'm no stoic. The dentist explained that when he pulled out my tooth, the splayed root must have splintered. What I was pulling out were the splinters. They were not still attached to my jaw.......thanks be to the almighty!

Yes, the nerve stuff would all have been dealt with at the dentist. Enamel and dentine are built up in layers, so I would imagine are quite likely to splinter into loose shards, like onion layers...

Not had food stuck in a gum, but a few years ago, having had a molar extracted, I was chewing on my nosh when an acute pain was felt (no it wasn't Bonj)

No probelm if it had been, you could have used bonjella on it..

yenrod

snapper_37 said:

Bought some Corsodyl and ibuprofen, it is bloody sore!!! :sad: :sad:

Perhaps a brandy would sort it out? ;) :ohmy:

Baaaaaaaaa !

:ohmy:

Sorry !

Top Bottom