Our first Grand Expidition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I have decided it is one ^_^

This weekend the school has put an inset day either side of it... so 4 days off...

The tent arrived today and as Mr P is working (boo hiss) I need to put it up and down on my own... I managed it although I will admit to be a slightly sweaty smelly disgusting mess by the end of it.... I was most impressed I got it to fit back in the original bag...

WP_20150630_11_25_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20150630_11_25_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20150630_11_25_49_Pro.jpg

Anyhoo... Friday we department, we shall be crossing the water on a boat (No not to foreign shores) it will be the Hamble-Warsash Ferry... I have primed the Ferryman (Dad) to expect us Friday morning with 3 bikes and one trailer and very full panniers on 2 of the bikes...

After cycling 2.8 miles from home we will arrive at our camping destination in Warsash.. Squidge (9) has practiced cycling with the trailer... although not fully loaded (:laugh: we shall see if I get the "this is sooo easy" comments then!) User76 (4) has elected to carry loo roll and toothpaste/brushes, hairbrush and flannels in her rucksack!
WP_20150627_13_03_37_Pro.jpg

We have booked dinner in the pub for Friday evening that I won a voucher for... we are still planning other meals...

I also have a Kelly Kettle with all the cookery bits...

I shall report back on our wild and far flung adventures.... ^_^

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Don't forget to pack hot chocolate for cool evenings (not sure if we are getting any of those), or cool mornings!

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Don't forget to pack hot chocolate for cool evenings (not sure if we are getting any of those), or cool mornings!
:thumbsup: I shall add it to the list... good idea I would have forgotten that!

I need to go on an adventure tomorrow as Mr P cannot find the electrical hook up and as it come with the veyr expensive pitch (Camping price round here :eek:) I want to use it to charge phone... if nothing else to stop the other adults panicing at home

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Is that a tent or an aircraft hangar?

User76 and I will be sharing the double bedroom (that can be split in to two) with the bike trailer...

Bertha & the 2 Frogs can fit in the main bit of the tent overnight. There is enough room for sprawling whilst reading or colouring in the morning for 2 small people whilst Mummy is in "do not until I have had coffee" mode.

I will admit at being surprised at how large it was considering the weight or lack off to it... decent hyrostatic head on it too which as we are expecting thunderstorms is good!

User76 and I will be sharing the double bedroom (that can be split in to two) with the bike trailer...

Bertha & the 2 Frogs can fit in the main bit of the tent overnight. There is enough room for sprawling whilst reading or colouring in the morning for 2 small people whilst Mummy is in "do not until I have had coffee" mode.

I will admit at being surprised at how large it was considering the weight or lack off to it... decent hyrostatic head on it too which as we are expecting thunderstorms is good!
Good luck on the do not disturb until coffee front. I look forward to seeing the pics of a fully loaded trailer being towed by Maggot, in fact of the whole expedition. Braver than me, I never got mine out on a cycling tour until, thinks......they were 14 or so.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Ray Mears did a series about the intrepid explorers of Canada. If I recall correctly, they prepared everything they thought they needed, then paddled about two miles along the river, before "breaking camp". This meant that if they had forgotten anything, there was time to return to collect it. After the first night in camp, off they would set for the next leg of their three hundred mile journey.

I see that you are covering 2.8 miles before breaking camp, which is very intrepid, I think. ^_^

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Good luck on the do not disturb until coffee front. I look forward to seeing the pics of a fully loaded trailer being towed by Maggot, in fact of the whole expedition. Braver than me, I never got mine out on a cycling tour until, thinks......they were 14 or so.

It is not brave it was the chicken option... the other option was train to Wareham cycle to Woody Hyde but I was easily talked out of that... as we have not done on a train with a bike... Dad pointed out that it might be best to do train with the small people without camping gear so the small people know what is expected of them. Next year perhaps...

They are already "Ferry Trained" with bikes...

User76 is the littlest I think the trailer will weigh more than her (17kg) and her bike - a frog....

I think Squidge will cope well with the trailer... he got that "strutting ~ puffed out chest" thing going on when he was practicing with just crabbing stuff in it and people looked and pointed and commented so if I ensure it is prime "old biddy" going to tea and cake at the river time, he will get all determined and pleased with himself... and if not I shall just transfer it to mine.

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

My electrical hook up weight charging phone to avoid panic issue is solved... I have a teeny tiny one... and as our tent will more or less be on top of the hook up it is just perfect for the job ^_^ and I can plug in and charge whilst reading my book in the evening....

1609-ful1.jpg

fimm

Veteran
I hope you have lots and lots of fun. I had most of my family holidays in a tent when I was a child (though by car, not by bike) and I still love camping.
I see you have a kelly kettle. I was thinking of getting one for my nieces and nephew; but the youngest is 5 - is that a bit young? (Or is it an aunt's prerogative to buy dangerous and unsuitable presents?)

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

I hope you have lots and lots of fun. I had most of my family holidays in a tent when I was a child (though by car, not by bike) and I still love camping.
I see you have a kelly kettle. I was thinking of getting one for my nieces and nephew; but the youngest is 5 - is that a bit young? (Or is it an aunt's prerogative to buy dangerous and unsuitable presents?)

I am not sure I would let the small people near the Kelly Kettle... the eldest is still a bit not quite bombproof at 9 and has his moments of "did you really think that was a good idea?" User76 is discouraged from fire as we have woodburners in the house... but if it was under supervision from parents why not!

Top Bottom