Outdoor storage box for a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deeble

Regular
Hi all.

I've been looking for an outdoor storage box as a means of storing a bike. Has anyone done this before and can recommend one that was big enough?

If it didn't work, what are my alternatives?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Asgard are the obvious one. I think they come in various sizes.

Depending on your security requirements, a garden shed might offer more space.

If all you want is weather protection, a bicycle cover might be sufficient.

carpiste

Guru
I bought a cheap and cheerful one several years ago that had big double fronted doors and could fit 2 bikes easily. I had it standing tight up against the garden fencing close to the house and had a big steel angle bracket going through it, fixed to the concrete post. That allowed me the ability to have a heavy duty chain fixed to it in case anyone did force the doors.
I`m actually think of building another one myself out of 20mm tongue and groove timbers ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Asgard, weatherproof, secure, insurance approved but costly and ideally you need a flat platform

Drago

Legendary Member
Asgard, weatherproof, secure, insurance approved but costly and ideally you need a flat platform
"Secure" is relative. A few years ago there as a spate of them being broken into in the Lothian area.

Do everything you can, and think about defence in depth and surveillance/natural surveillance. Don't just buy something you think may be impregnable, and then leave the environment suitable for a ne'er do well to be able to walk right up to it unimpeded and then attack it unobserved, because you may as well just not bother.

I have a woodern shed - specifically sold as a cycle store - works fine
Just make sure you can't bypass the bolts by unscrewing the hinges!

However, I have screwed a metal bar across the back of the shed and the bikes are locked to the bar
ideally I would like a ground anchor - but when I tried to drill a hole in the Indian Stone flags I basically just made the drill bit hot - VERY hot - but hardly even scratched the stone
Any odea of what kind of drill I need to use on the stone??

Drago

Legendary Member
I've had no issues :okay: I'm sure it's more secure than most wooden or plastic sheds
Im not suggesting you have had any issues, thankfully. Its the "I have an impregnable box" approach that is flawed when it comes to retaining ones possessions.

If thats all someone does, with no thought to site, situation and access, then many of the Asgards excellent attributes can be largely negated, and some owners who were previously rather smug have ended up somewhat surprised.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine's in my garden, bolted to concrete flags (it was fitted by Asgard), behind a tall fence and a bolted gate...and the contents are insured :okay:
I'm not overly concerned about a spate of break ins a few years ago hundreds of miles away :okay: I'm sure more garden sheds, garages and lock ups get broken into

OP
OP
D

Deeble

Regular
Asgard is wayyy over budget for me. I need a bit more than just a cover but nothing serious. The bike will be a very old one that I'll only use for indoor. My problem is I have nowhere in the house to put it so need something!

Top Bottom