Owzatta?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I read an article years ago that although Italians weren't interested in playing cricket, they used to go out dressed as cricketers, wearing (old-fashioned) white or cream flannels with turn-ups, long-sleeved woollen jumpers, and white shirts with the collar turned up! ;)
Couldn't even imagine them diving around and getting grass stains on their nicely pressed strides! :wacko:

Maz

Guru
Interesting article, that. I have a relative who recently moved from Pakistan to Italy, but I don't think he plays for the Italian national team just yet!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif said:
Rumour has it that the team will be coached by that famous Australian all rounder Ian Chappell and his young sister..the 'sis teen Chappell'

:?:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I've just finished a book called, 'Batting on the Bosphorus' about a Scottish bloke who travels round Eastern Europe trying to play a game of cricket in every east European country. His highlight is to hit a ball from Europe to Asia over the Bosphorus.

Anyone wanting the book is welcome.

Maz said:
Interesting article, that. I have a relative who recently moved from Pakistan to Italy, but I don't think he plays for the Italian national team just yet!

I had the chance to represent the Swedish national cricket team, but turned it down as it would have jeopardised my chances of playing for England! :?: :biggrin:

rich p said:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I've just finished a book called, 'Batting on the Bosphorus' about a Scottish bloke who travels round Eastern Europe trying to play a game of cricket in every east European country. His highlight is to hit a ball from Europe to Asia over the Bosphorus.

Anyone wanting the book is welcome.

Could you put my name in the hat, please, rich p!
Better make it a large hat, as I expect the demand for this will be great! :?:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dayvo said:
Could you put my name in the hat, please, rich p!
Better make it a large hat, as I expect the demand for this will be great! :?:

It's yours mate.

pm me your details and it'll be despatched before you can say Bell is a genius!

Maz

Guru
Dayvo said:
I had the chance to represent the Swedish national cricket team, but turned it down as it would have jeopardised my chances of playing for England! :smile: :thumbsup:
You must've been a really good player. Do you still play?
Do they still play the daylight midnight cricket match in Sweden (at least I think it was Sweden)? I heard about this on a documentary I was watching once.

User1314 said:
Coconut and Fish Curry :thumbsup:

There's a Sri Lankan team who play social cricket in my local park - all their wives and kids come down.

They turn with loads of carrier bags full of lager as well.

Saw some bemused albeit bored Poles watching them play whilst sitting down on a bench.

I played with a team of Sri Lankans in the Swedish league.
'Tea' between innings was a delight to behold. As CoG said, there was coconut and fish curry, eaten without cutlery, lager, and a Sri Lankan coconut rum (arack, IIRC) in cans.
The first time I ate with my fingers, I managed to severely stain my white cricket trousers. :smile:

Maz said:
You must've been a really good player. Do you still play?
Do they still play the daylight midnight cricket match in Sweden (at least I think it was Sweden)? I heard about this on a documentary I was watching once.

:thumbsup: I was a goodish amateur, playing first X1 cricket for my town team in the senior Essex league, with and against county and Test players. Unfortunately I don't play any more (I'm two short of my 50 :smile:).

Haven't heard about that midhight match you mentioned, but it was probably further north, where they have 24-hour daylight in the summer for 2-3 months.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif said:
I know that cricket lovers - or lovers of cricket;) - read this thread so I thought you might like to see this interesting article which I missed when it was first published last Friday ;). Nicely written.

I, being a sad and lonely lover of said game, have just read the replies to the article. They're well written, much like this forum and unlike similar football blogs, but it degenerates quiclky into some great insults and mud-slinging.

Top Bottom