Panniers - Preferable on the forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

I have been looking at Specialized AWOLs recently, I like their rufty-tuffty-ness (Its a word, look it up).

While researching and finding vids like this series...

View: http://vimeo.com/80636312

It seems that touring people seem to prefer to have panniers on the forks. I would have thought that the extra weight there would no be desirable, and that a rear rack would probably be able to hold more (panniers plus a trunk bag).

So, why forks for panniers?

I have tried both,, and found that front panniers are ok if travelling light, but I found that they can take control of the steering on bumpy roads or tracks, with full touring kit I use either just the rear pannier and sometimes add small light loaded front ones again depending where or what I am doing.

Bodhbh

Guru
There's a Specalized AWOL I've been having a gawk at on the last couple of visits to the LBS. It looks a pretty nice touring machine - steel, discs, loads of tyre clearance (700x50?), tubus racks, understated grey looks, etc. Not sure it's worth shelling out £1200 vs something like a Revolution Country Explorer at just over half the price tho.

Is that vid one of the round the world races with their wacky race setups? It's not really touring. I've used front rack only for the commute for a couple of weeks, not thru design just as a stand in while midway thru swapping bits between bikes. It's fine, tho not sure there's much reason to go out your way to setup a bike like that - bit more weight at the front. Maybe there's some aero reason for those round the world folks.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
My experience as well, I've used the front racks for commuting and light loads, mainly to take a little weight off the rear wheel when I thought I might be overloading it. I sometimes use the front racks only when commuting from work, but that's a very light load, usually just a bus driver's uniform, lunch tiffins and flask, and other stuff.

badolki

Über Member
As noted by others the front panniers should be restricted to lighter items. I've done a few 3 - 5 day tours with camping gear and the front panniers have ben used for a sleeping bag and waterproofs or extra fleece. I try to keep to rear rack and panniers with a waterproof duffle bag bungeed on top and a bar bag for valuable essentials.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's all down to personal choice. There is no right and wrong answer. Some folk dispense with panniers altogether and make do with just a saddlebag.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Front panniers stabilise the handling and weight distribution, and allow you to carry more stuff if necessary.
rps20141024_001307_745.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm all for a bit of weight in the front when the back panniers are laden. Feels better when cycling, and certainly makes the bike easier to carry when you have to lift it up stairs, on to trains etc.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Doesn't it depend, to some extent, on the bike too?

I've heard several people talking about particular bikes feeling better with load on the front, rather than the back (I've only ever used rear panniers, personally).

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think you are right there, some bikes handle front loads better than others, but a lot of touring bikes handle better when loaded, in general. I love the way my Fuji Tourer handles a load, and my old Schwinn Passage was also quite better when loaded.

Doesn't it depend, to some extent, on the bike too?

I've heard several people talking about particular bikes feeling better with load on the front, rather than the back (I've only ever used rear panniers, personally).
yep - my expedition bike was designed (not by me) from the word go to take weight on the front. the result is that the handling can be quite sensitive and twitchy without weight on the front forks. It is however stunningly stable even at speed on and off tarmac.

Personally I prefer the handling with the panniers on the front when there are panniers on the rear, but it doesn't take long to adjust to not having them there.
However, that is for a bike designed to take panniers - it was a completely different kettle of fish when I did my first tour on a mountain bike and only had rear panniers... the bike's handling was interesting to say the least and it was really easy for the front end to lift of the ground and tip over. touring on the mtb confirmed one thing to me and that was if I was going to do a lot more touring (which I was planning to do and did) I needed a proper dedicated off-road touring bike designed to handle rough terrain and panniers.

willem

Über Member
On an expedition tour you obviously need both front and rear panniers. On a three season European camping tour you do not need more than about 15 kg, and that will fit into one set of largish panniers (or even small ones if you go ultralight). Whether you have them at the front or the rear is a matter of preference. It is the French tradition to have them at the front, but this presupposes a French style touringbike with a low trail trail geometry to avoid your wheel flopping from left to right. If you have your luggage on a rear rack, it is similalry important to avoid overloading. Put too much on the rear, and the bike will become unstable. Put as much of your heavy stuff at the front of the rear panniers, rather than the back, put your fuel bottle in a Bikebuddy underneath the down tube, and perhaps use a little frame bag for your tools. I think you should also avoid using a trunk bag on top of the rear panniers. I just have my - dirty and wet -little tent on top of the rack and that is I think all you should have there, plus some rain gear. However, stability also depends on the way you sit on the bike. I have a drop bar, and this moves some of my body weight forward, which clearly improves the handling of a bike with just rear panniers.
The advantage of just two panniers is that you save the 2-2.5 kg weight and expense of front panniers and a front rack. But, realistically, it will only work with compact gear (use the money you save on panniers and a rack for this purpose), particularly sleeping gear. But then, that is the whole point of using just two panniers.

Last edited:

ThompsonCrowley

Hi,

I have been looking at Specialized AWOLs recently, I like their rufty-tuffty-ness (Its a word, look it up).

While researching and finding vids like this series...

View: http://vimeo.com/80636312

It seems that touring people seem to prefer to have panniers on the forks. I would have thought that the extra weight there would no be desirable, and that a rear rack would probably be able to hold more (panniers plus a trunk bag).

So, why forks for panniers?

Hi. I did a trip this summer with panniers on the front forks. I was carrying lots of weight in them and did find it a little wobbly on the steering. But it was manageable. Although it was a tricycle (See profile picture) And I didn't have the added problem of balancing, except round tight corners!

Top Bottom