Partitioning and dual-booting linux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scook94

Veteran
redjedi said:
That's exactly what will happen. IT's very easy to do as well, even with my very limited knowledge of particians, I could have done it.

It's one of the first options when you go through the installation process. You get a little slider to say how much space you want to give to Windows and how much to Ubuntu. Or just format the hard drive (which is what I did)

Installion tutorial with piccies

That's really handy. They didn't have that option when I did mine...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
dave r said:
Beanzontoast you can run Ubuntu from the Ubuntu installation CD without installing it on the PC and theres a Partition Editor on the Ubuntu installation CD that you can use to resize the Windows Partition, its a little slow though and you need to back up your data first.

I found that is the easiest way to do it, also it has the advantage of finding if everything works under Linux before you make any changes to your hard drive. The laptop I am writing this on is dual boot XP/Ubuntu, I find I am using Ubuntu more and more...

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Hairy Jock said:
I found that is the easiest way to do it, also it has the advantage of finding if everything works under Linux before you make any changes to your hard drive. The laptop I am writing this on is dual boot XP/Ubuntu, I find I am using Ubuntu more and more...

Right, have had a 'dry run' as far as fiddling with the partition maker but not pressing 'go' - am going to back up the data in the morning first just in case.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
OK guys - successfully partitioned spare drive, but have hit mega problems in an unexpected area.

Have known the resolution was limited to 800x600 when running from the live cd, but I thought this would be more adjustable with a hd installation. I installed Ubuntu to the hd fine and it runs, but when trying to adjust the display resolution, and finding that the 1280x1024 I like using was missing from the list of resolutions available, I explored the menus and in Hardware I was prompted to download the Nvidea driver (which I did). Then on restarting found the screen garbled. I went into NVIDEA X server settings as best I could only to find whatever resolution I chose totally screwed up the display.

I'm saddened by this. This is where linux falls down for me. At least with Windows stuff like resolution setting is relatively straightforward. I don't mind a bit of fiddling and adjusting - to be expected really - but after an hour of fiddling to no avail, it's back to the live cd for me. Either that, or I may have to put up with a 800x600 display after doing a reinstallation on the hd. :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I had a simmilar problem there is a solution here. Earlier versions of Ubuntu didn't have this problem, but for some reason it was change because it was felt that there was no need to support older hardwear.

D

Deleted member 1258

beanzontoast said:
OK guys - successfully partitioned spare drive, but have hit mega problems in an unexpected area.

Have known the resolution was limited to 800x600 when running from the live cd, but I thought this would be more adjustable with a hd installation. I installed Ubuntu to the hd fine and it runs, but when trying to adjust the display resolution, and finding that the 1280x1024 I like using was missing from the list of resolutions available, I explored the menus and in Hardware I was prompted to download the Nvidea driver (which I did). Then on restarting found the screen garbled. I went into NVIDEA X server settings as best I could only to find whatever resolution I chose totally screwed up the display.

I'm saddened by this. This is where linux falls down for me. At least with Windows stuff like resolution setting is relatively straightforward. I don't mind a bit of fiddling and adjusting - to be expected really - but after an hour of fiddling to no avail, it's back to the live cd for me. Either that, or I may have to put up with a 800x600 display after doing a reinstallation on the hd. :biggrin:

:sad:Beanzontoast sorry to hear it hasn't worked out, Nvidea drivers do not seem to be well supported in Ubuntu. There is a lot about these drivers on the forum Hairy Jock gives the link to http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php, if you do a search you will get a lot of results.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
dave r said:
:sad:Beanzontoast sorry to hear it hasn't worked out, Nvidea drivers do not seem to be well supported in Ubuntu. There is a lot about these drivers on the forum Hairy Jock gives the link to http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php, if you do a search you will get a lot of results.

Cheers both. Have done a bit of investigating and as you say, it looks like my Nvidia card is the problem in that there seems to be a raft of problems dating back a good way with the Nvidia card-Ubuntu collisions. Now, as the whole idea of me installing Ubuntu was to get the functionality without the expense, and since Windows is perfectly happy at 1280x1024 on my Nvidia card, I think it's not a new graphics card I'll be seeking but rather a different brand of linux.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

D

Deleted member 1258

beanzontoast is there nothing on the forum that is helpful? Is it worth you registering and asking for help? I have successfully used that forum, the beginners section, for help with problems in the past.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Dave - don't get me wrong, it's a great looking forum and thanks for the pointer to it.:?: I do intend to register. I'm sure it will be useful in the future, and reading various posts there has helped me see where the problem lies.

What I've gathered, looking on there and elsewhere, is lots of comments to the effect that newer Nvidia cards may require some work to get running at higher resolutions - there's a lot of different Nvidia cards out there - while older Nvidia cards (mine's actually GeForce2 onboard) are not well supported at all by the manufacturer or Ubuntu. I couldn't find a solution for this. The newer Nvidia driver that Ubuntu offers to install - there's only one driver given to choose from in Hardware Manager (or whatever it's called) - corrupts the desktop when installed, making it very difficult to 'step back' and try something else. The screen is literally illegible so you can't even see to access menus. I've had to remove the linux partition using gparted and then reinstall Ubuntu each time an experiment fails, as I am very much a beginner to linux installation (I've run live versions of several flavours, but not hd dual-boot installations) and don't know my way around any other recovery methods in linux yet.

The generic driver that Ubuntu installs works fine, but 800x600 is its top resolution offering. Oddly, the much earlier Nvidia drivers from the driver disk that came with my motherboard run perfectly fine at high resolutions under Windows Xp, but Ubuntu only offers the one choice of much later Nvidia driver to install. You would think, knowing what graphics I'm running, that the Nvidia driver they suggest would be the one they have tested and know works. If I could force Ubuntu to let me try installing the earlier driver that I know works under Xp, that might be an option I suppose?

D

Deleted member 1258

:ohmy: Nice to know you have managed to work out whats wrong, it sounds like finding a solution is going to be difficult, I had read one or two posts about these drivers out of curiosity but had not realized how complicated the subject was.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
A little update...

I jumped ship to Suse 11.1 experimentally, and after a bit of adjusting (had to find out the monitor's vertical and horizontal frequencies and do some manual tweaking to stop the display being too far over to the right of the screen) it's happily running at 1280x1024.

;)

D

Deleted member 1258

beanzontoast said:
A little update...

I jumped ship to Suse 11.1 experimentally, and after a bit of adjusting (had to find out the monitor's vertical and horizontal frequencies and do some manual tweaking to stop the display being too far over to the right of the screen) it's happily running at 1280x1024.

;)

:thumbsup: Well done, whats Suse like these days? I tried it many many years ago and ran into to many problems getting it to do what I wanted and removed it from the computer and haven't tried it since.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
dave r said:
:o) Well done, whats Suse like these days? I tried it many many years ago and ran into to many problems getting it to do what I wanted and removed it from the computer and haven't tried it since.

+1

I quite liked it but in the end I had to many problems with Suse 10.2 and moved to Ubuntu, but I'm still curious about Suse...

Top Bottom