Pashley Sovereign for cheap - needs new wheel...really?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Interesting!

There are so many possibilities:

Gears just need adjustment.
Gears need minor repair.
Gears are damaged beyond repair.

These are just three .

Do you really want the bike? Do you want a project? How painful will it be if you need to spend £100 on it?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Fifty notes seems a bit optimist if it needs a new SA hub. Might just be needing adjusting as @All uphill says. Offer thirty and see how it goes.
Edit: Even for half a ton that Brooks on its own makes it worth it. :smile:

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Fifty notes seems a bit optimist if it needs a new SA hub. Might just be needing adjusting as @All uphill says. Offer thirty and see how it goes.
Edit: Even for half a ton that Brooks on its own makes it worth it. :smile:

Yeah I noticed the brooks saddle too.

Could be a scam I suppose, I've sent them a message anyway. I definitely don't need the bike but it'd make a nice project. I bought a Bronx Vintage town bike 2-3 months ago for £30 and enjoyed fixing that up, and now it's my runabout bike. A Sovereign with a dynamo set of lights and a couple more gears would be nice though.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
At least 90% of Sturmey Archer shifting problems are down to the adjustment or shifter. Having said that the Pashley Sovereign uses the 5-speed hub which has been problematic since its introduction (do a Google search)

If you do need to replace the hub then it would be easier to swap the internals (they come out in one piece attached to the axle) rather than have the new hub laced into the wheel.

Pashley are a premium brand so at £50 you can afford to spend some money getting it sorted.

newts

Veteran
Why?

Looks like a hub gear? £100 could be optimistic if it’s fubar?

The sellers Facebook profile doesn't look genuine.

Top Bottom