Passport Renewal - enough time ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
30th April - sent off daughter's passport renewal info via Check & Send at the Post Office (I'd filled the docs out online the week before, so it was just sign / photos / countersign and send.)

However, today I got a letter saying that the photos weren't professionally printed (always done them at home and they never complained about mine 4 years ago or my parents' 2 years ago). So, tomorrow I need to get hold of daughter, get new pics and then get them posted back.

I'm travelling on the 1st June - anyone with recent passport renewal experience reckon that there's still time for me to get the renewed passport in time ?

gary r

Guru
Good Luck!!! My sons passport arrived by courier the day before we were due to fly !!! talk about stressful !!!!! We paid for the post office to check the documents & it was still "rejected" !!! Chase them every day on the phone,We seemed to get a different story from each person we spoke to at the passport office."yes its been processed" "no it hasnt" " call Newcastle" ( we live in surrey!!!) etc etc

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
goo_mason said:
I'm travelling on the 1st June - anyone with recent passport renewal experience reckon that there's still time for me to get the renewed passport in time ?

You have left things a bit tight - there will be lots of passport applications in then system despite the credit crunch. It might be worth exploring the value of a personal appearance at a passport office - Glasgow is your closest. That way you will have peace of mind.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

vernon said:
You have left things a bit tight - there will be lots of passport applications in then system despite the credit crunch. It might be worth exploring the value of a personal appearance at a passport office - Glasgow is your closest. That way you will have peace of mind.

Yep - the ex had the passport so it took a while to extract it from her.

I'm going to phone the passport office tomorrow to see whether they reckon a personal visit to the Glasgow office would do. Problem is - the passport is already 3/4 processed so I don't know if they'll transfer that through. Guess they'll tell me tomorrow.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
goo_mason said:
Yep - the ex had the passport so it took a while to extract it from her.

I'm going to phone the passport office tomorrow to see whether they reckon a personal visit to the Glasgow office would do. Problem is - the passport is already 3/4 processed so I don't know if they'll transfer that through. Guess they'll tell me tomorrow.

Most of the stuff is stored electronically so it should be transferable in an instant. I had to pay a visit to the Glasgow office when I needed a passport renewal at no notice.

There's a great bagpipe museum and shop as part of the National Pipers Society building nearby. I spent a while their while my documentation was being processed.

If you do have to go to the office you'll be given a time for an appointment where you';ll be asked few cursory questions about th reasons for the visit, you'll be parted from your docs and fees and be issued with a docket with a time stamped on it. Your passport will be released at the time on the docket.

I whiled my time away in the bagpipe shop and a local bar.

AdamBlade

I got my sons passport through on Sunday. Didn't know we had post on Sundays - oh well. We did the Post Office checks about a week before and had no problems.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The requiremens for pictures have been tightened - next time you enter the UK just linger behind the Borders officer as they process the rest of your family and watch the computer screen, you'll see why they now need a high quality picture.

You've plenty of time to get your new passport by 1 June, stop worrying.

gary r

Guru
AdamBlade said:
I got my sons passport through on Sunday. Didn't know we had post on Sundays - oh well. We did the Post Office checks about a week before and had no problems.

they use couriers to deliver passports

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Uncle Mort said:
As a matter of interest, what do they charge in the UK for passport renewals? If you're living abroad it's pretty steep now.

It was £46 for a child's passport renewal (plus £6 for the Check & Send Service at the Post Office, which was a waste of money this time around !).

Phoned the passport office this morning - a good start: their letter said that they were open 8.30 - 5.30. When I called the number beside this very advice, I was told that they were open 9.00 - 5.00 !

I should have the passport back by the end of next week according to the woman, but I should mention in the covering letter that I'm willing to upgrade to the local printing option in the Glasgow passport office and pay the additional £48 fee if they're not going to get it back to me before my holiday date.

I'll send them in and cross my fingers....

I've never done check and send, and never had any problems. Even when I used an old picture which they noticed was the same as the picture in my old passport (oops) it only took about 2 weeks. Most of the ones that get sent back seem to be ones that the Post Office has 'checked'. It's a big fat money-making scam in my opinion!

Disclaimer: I haven't renewed a passport since they decided that the sight of a tooth on your picture meant you were a terrorist (i.e. don't smile you aren't supposed to be enjoying yourself!!)

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
As a matter of interest, what do they charge in the UK for passport renewals? If you're living abroad it's pretty steep now.

I renewed my passport via the British Embassy in Helsinki in January and it cost me 142 Euros!!:biggrin:

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

All ready to send off tomorrow again, and I'll send by Recorded Delivery Next Day Guaranteed by 1pm.

However, just been struck by a terrible thought - anyone know if your passport photos were rejected & you're asked to send new ones, do you have to get the new ones countersigned again ?

I was going to send before I went to work, but the original countersignatory is a workmate.

Surely they can use the non-professionally printed pic with the sig on the back to confirm it's still a likeness of the same person ?

gavintc

Guru
goo_mason said:
All ready to send off tomorrow again, and I'll send by Recorded Delivery Next Day Guaranteed by 1pm.

However, just been struck by a terrible thought - anyone know if your passport photos were rejected & you're asked to send new ones, do you have to get the new ones countersigned again ?

I was going to send before I went to work, but the original countersignatory is a workmate.

Surely they can use the non-professionally printed pic with the sig on the back to confirm it's still a likeness of the same person ?

Nope, they will need signing on the back.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Oh, bucket of arse !!

Good job I thought about it, as the very long letter of do's and don'ts about the new photos I have to send at NO point says that one of the replacements has to be signed.

Top Bottom