Paul O'Grady - RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
RIp Paul O'Grady.
That was sad news to wake to.
Only 67, way to young

Drago

Legendary Member
A nice chap by all accounts. I know he had heart problems in the past, so I wonder if that is what did for him? Either way, thr world is a slightly sadder place without his cheeky good humour.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Sad day. The did a lot for gay rights and animal welfare.

He made Drag Queens mainstream. Then had the charisma and talent to escape his alter ego and become famous in his own right.

I’m not a big fan of the modern Uber camp OTT drag queens but they owe a lot to trail blazers like Paul. He had great legs.

My first memory of him was on Richard and Judy as Lily Savage, chucking champagne glasses into the dock.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I was lucky enough to bump into him at London Gay Pride 1993. My mate David knew some of the organisers so wangled a couple of backstage passes. We were in the VIP enclosure behind the main stage hob knobbing with 'celebs' and bands like Erasure. I was stood in line for the portaloo and it was an unusually cold day for summer. A voice from behind boomed in a scouse accent 'Bloody cold eh?', I turned and there was Paul dolled up as Lily just having come off stage. We chatted for a few minutes and he posed for what nowadays is called a selfie. Nice chap, very funny as Lily. RIP Paul, the LGBTQ community is in mourning today....😢

a.twiddler

Veteran
Just heard the news. Not many celebs' passing make me go aaww but I did this time. Funny, abrasive, warm, a real live wire. And so relatively young. Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls, etc.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Very sad day indeed. I was shocked when my wife told me. He was a good man and I shall miss his program " For the love of dogs " . Another good one gone and far too young.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Dunno much about him, but read this in an obit: he said he wanted to see David Cameron and George Osborne’s “heads on spikes on Tower Bridge” over austerity cuts, and revealed that he quit his talkshow because celebrities were so dull they were like “relatives you felt obliged to visit”.

I can relate to that.

Top Bottom