Pc Ram...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What fossyant says is correct. Vista is somewhat different in that the 64bit versions have much higher physical memory limits than 32bit XP and vista.

peanut

yes but maz says his PC only had 256Mb and from that I am surmising that he probably runs Winxp not Vista and is certainly not looking to run a gaming machine from what I read.
756Mb will be ample for word processing, image and audio editing and browsing.

I suspect that Maz ,like me, does not install the Win service packs and 750Mb is more than ample to run WinXP very quickly indeed;)

Slim

Über Member
peanut said:
I would advise you to get Crucial memory. Not only is it guaranteed for life they will also make sure that you get the correct memory for your PC .You need the correct type of memory ie parity /non parity etc

if your PC will only support PC2700 it won't run faster if you purchase PC3300 but PC3300 will ironically probably be cheaper

Check out Crucial's website. They had a pretty good guide to installing memory - mind you, I was still bricking it when pushing the chips home into the slots though :angry:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
peanut said:
I would advise you to get Crucial memory.
Luckily, that's exactly where I ordered from. The website was clever enough to scan my PC and tell me exactly what RAM I had and what my upgrade options were.

It probably now has my credit card and online banking details to boot.

To boot - get it? PC? IGMC.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
peanut said:
yes but maz says his PC only had 256Mb and from that I am surmising that he probably runs Winxp not Vista and is certainly not looking to run a gaming machine from what I read.
Correct. XP. No games or anything.

peanut

Maz said:
Luckily, that's exactly where I ordered from. The website was clever enough to scan my PC and tell me exactly what RAM I had and what my upgrade options were.

It probably now has my credit card and online banking details to boot.

To boot - get it? PC? IGMC.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

your PC is watching you right now Maz :biggrin:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
So I've bought the 512MB of RAM and now installed it.

Does anyone know how I can check my system to see if the new memory has been recognised?

I should have 256+512=768MB.

Thanks.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yeah my computer should say what memory you have and isn't being plundered by the graphics card (if any).

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Right-click 'My Computer'
Select 'Properties'
It's on the General tab.

You're on XP, yeah?
Bummer. It still says 256MB RAM.
Yes, I'm on XP.
I put the new RAM on the spare slot next to the 256MB RAM I already had. I got it correctly orientated as well. It clicked nicely into place, too, no problem.
:smile::wacko:

peanut

Maz said:
So I've bought the 512MB of RAM and now installed it.

Does anyone know how I can check my system to see if the new memory has been recognised?

I should have 256+512=768MB.

Thanks.

If you really want to know everything about your computer including all the hardware and the license serial numbers of all the software download this fantastic little program Belarc Advisor
Its completely unobtrusive, never updates or runs unless you ask it to. It will give you a complete rundown of your laptop or computer.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Try removing the 256Mb and replacing only the 512 stick and rebooting .The 2x memory sticks may be incompatable

Desert Orchid

take them both out and put the new stick in the 256 slot,

if it works it proves that the slot and memory are ok,

then put the 256 in the spare slot and this will show if the slot is ok, as you know the memory is ok

Top Bottom