Pedals advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary D

I have just started doing cyclo cross and I am having a couple of problems - the first one is staying upright :evil:.

However, the real problem I had today was with the pedals - namely clipping back in after dismounting. I must have spent at least half the race with either only one foot or neither actually clipped in :biggrin: :biggrin: They got so clagged up, I was fiddling around for ages trying to locate and clip in.

I am using Spesh Taho shoes with Spesh SPD (equivalent to Shimano M520's) style pedals.

I appreciate the shoes I am using are not ideal and I will probably invest in some proper mountain bike ones. However, I am not convinced that is the total answer as I looked at other riders shoes and they appeared to be just as clagged up as mine.

I was wondering if a change of pedals would be the answer? Maybe Crank Brothers Egg Beater C's? They appear to be very minimalist and so shouldn't clog up so easily.

Advice and guidance welcomed.

Thanks,
Gary.

Young Un

how are you finding cyclo-cross gary? - i am yet to try it - going to try and do the bromsgrove one

OP
OP
G

Gary D

Young Un said:
how are you finding cyclo-cross gary? - i am yet to try it - going to try and do the bromsgrove one

Steve,

Bloomin tough :smile: :evil:

The results page tomorrow will tell the whole story :biggrin:

Give it a go - but be prepared to suffer :evil: :biggrin:

Gary.

RedBike

I'm afriad you probably wont find egg-beaters any easier: they still clog, just not as easily. It's worth checking that the sole/grips of your shoes aren't getting in the way, helping your shoes clog.

You could try adjusting the tension on your pedals. Making them easier to clip in/out of.

There's nothing stopping you doing cx with platform pedals if you feel more comfortable with them. The question is will you loose more time with platforms than you loose trying to clip in? Platforms might also help with staying upright (It's easier to get a foot down).

OP
OP
G

Gary D

RedBike,
Thanks for that - really good advice ;) :biggrin:

I checked my shoes by clipping them in to the pedals and flipping them over, and sure enough, it became apparent where the problem lies.
Because they are not proper mountain bike shoes, the clearance around the cleat is not good. Also, there are 2 strips of rubber on the sole that rest on flat pads on the top of the pedals. Once mud gets on either of these surfaces then the cleat cannot get anywhere near the pedal to allow it to engage.

Tension is OK. It is on the loose side already.

Platform pedals are worth consideration as well. Also, what about the combined clipless pedals with a platform around? Are they any good or are they going to just clog even easier?

So, to start with, first purchase is a pair of proper MTB shoes :sad:

Thanks,
Gary.

jpembroke

I've always found M520s to be fine for cyclocross. I suggest a change of shoe first. Get some with chunky tread and preferably with screw in studs at the front - ideal for running up those muddy banks. I bought a pair of DHB mtb shoes from Wiggle, which do the job well and only cost £35.

OP
OP
G

Gary D

jpembroke said:
I've always found M520s to be fine for cyclocross. I suggest a change of shoe first. Get some with chunky tread and preferably with screw in studs at the front - ideal for running up those muddy banks. I bought a pair of DHB mtb shoes from Wiggle, which do the job well and only cost £35.

Thanks,

Yep, they're on the shopping list as we speak - shoes that is!

I am considering the Egg Beater pedals. They seem to come highly recommended, and logic says that just by looking at the design, they are not going to clog up so easily.

Ebay here we come ;) :ohmy:

Gary.

OP
OP
G

Gary D

Update.......

Went for the eggbeaters in the end and used them for the first time today. Conditions were quite bad with a lot of deep mud and black peaty stuff in the wooded sections.
However, I can report that the pedals were a massive improvement - even using them with my existing shoes :smile: :smile:.

No problems at all clipping in even with the shoes totally clagged. The only thing I found slightly worrying to start with is that you don't feel clipped in really securely. However, it wasn't a problem in reality.

I've bought some proper MTB shoes now as well so they should be even better with those.

Thanks for all your advice. I would thoroughly recommend the eggbeaters :ohmy:.

Gary.

papercorn2000

Yay!
Conditions at yesterday's mud-fest at Mugdock Park sounded pretty similar to your experience - no probs clipping in with egg-beaters!

Mind you, I think that the MTB may have been a better option considering the nasty descent they sent us down. Most of the field ran it and there were a few good offs in the first few laps!

RedBike

I did a cx race using the MTB on Saturday. I ended up quitting after just 30mins.
My frame/wheels were too clogged up to move. Big knobbly tyres and mud just don't mix.

I've got my mud-tyres ready for the next one!

OP
OP
G

Gary D

RedBike said:
I did a cx race using the MTB on Saturday. I ended up quitting after just 30mins.
My frame/wheels were too clogged up to move. Big knobbly tyres and mud just don't mix.

I've got my mud-tyres ready for the next one!

Curious comment about the Mountain Bike :rolleyes:
Might be a naive observation, but aren't MTB's meant for that kind of terrain as well? Do cross bikes have even more/better mud clearance?
I must admit I have always wondered about v-brakes though as they seem to clog very easily on my youngest daughters Islabike.

Gary.

RedBike

It all depends on the bikes in question. But I would of thought the gap between the seat/chain stays is wider on a MTB than on a cx bike. The trouble is MTBs often use wider tyres that have a more aggressive tread.

The wider tyres eliminate the advantage of wider seat/chain stays and they tend to pick-up / deposit more mud.

On saturday I was using Fat Albert tyres. Great for rocks and quite grippy in light mud too; but they're just too wide for using in heavy mud. It wasn't long before I was stopping 2 or 3 times a lap to remove enough mud to allow my wheels to turn.

Top Bottom