Pics of my Btwin Triban 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've done a few thousand miles on the Triban's predecessor, the Sport 1, and priced at ~€300 it's been very good value. I don't use it very much now but I don't see any good reason to change over to a compact - it has a good gear range, and because it's never going to be a pedigree racing bike those extra couple of lower gears are very useful for hills. I had some problems with the bottom bracket/cranks that their mechanics eventually gave up trying to solve and put a Sora crank on instead. That's been fine ever since.

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

Looked at one of these myself before I got a stonking deal on a Giant Defy 4 (only £30 more). The 2300 triple is not as slick as the 105 compact double I have on my other bike, but you'd expect that seeing as 105 is more than double the price of 2300. In terms of ratios the 105 compact 34/50 with 12-25 cassette only has two less gears than the triple set-up.

Easiest on the compact double is 2.8, the triple has 2.5 and 2.3 extra.

Couple of points - align the front QR lever with the fork to reduce the risk of accidental opening. Looks like you lost the crimp cap from the front brake cable.
OK I will do that! Same with the back as well?
RE: The crimp cap, it was my own silly fault while I was trying to adjust the brakes, I pulled on the cable with a pair of pliers and pulled the cap off by accident DOH!

I am looking into the SRAM Apex compact double setup to reduce a bit of weight and get those shifters that I like, and to tighten up the gear changes a bit as sometimes they are a bit sloppy with the front mechanism.

I've done a few thousand miles on the Triban's predecessor, the Sport 1, and priced at ~€300 it's been very good value. I don't use it very much now but I don't see any good reason to change over to a compact - it has a good gear range, and because it's never going to be a pedigree racing bike those extra couple of lower gears are very useful for hills. I had some problems with the bottom bracket/cranks that their mechanics eventually gave up trying to solve and put a Sora crank on instead. That's been fine ever since.

Hopefully if I change over to the SRAM Apex groupset then I can replace the cranks and BB etc...

Another thing I just found out, I measured from the centre of the crank to the centre of the pedal axle and it come out at 175mm, I thought standard was 170mm? So it's interesting that its 5mm longer. I would imagine this affects the ratios with the gears, making it a bit easier to pedal?

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
gears.jpg
You can plug all the info into this site to get your ratios http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

My Giant has 172.5 (55.5cm Centre -Top frame) Raleigh has 175mm (56cm frame C-T) MTB has 175mm (54cm frame C-T). Most frames smaller than 54cm have 170mm as standard. I think you get about 3% less torque (somebody may correct me on that one).

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

You can plug all the info into this site to get your ratios http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

My Giant has 172.5 (55.5cm Centre -Top frame) Raleigh has 175mm (56cm frame C-T) MTB has 175mm (54cm frame C-T). Most frames smaller than 54cm have 170mm as standard. I think you get about 3% less torque (somebody may correct me on that one).
Ahh maybe because I bought the 60cm version, it has the bigger crank arms? I suppose a small frame would look silly with long cranks and vice-versa...

Cheers.

nathan

Just bought one of these today from my local decathlon in Surrey Quays after deciding a 16kg 20yr old MTB was too much effort for my commute. The bike itself feels fantastic for the price, and I can't tell much difference between it and my Dad's much more expensive cannondale - although I'm definitely no expert. However, the customer service was shockingly bad, when I was asking about sizes and fitting the assistant just had no idea and didn't seem to care at all, to be fair to him he said that the cycle expert wasn't in today - but it was a bit of a mare. Luckily I sorted everything out with my dad after. Anyway I was just wondering what mudguards would fit it - I tried some at local store and they couldn't fit the front ones on, I think they were Crud mk2s. And if you know which panniers would fit as my MTB ones won't fit on.

Thanks for any help

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

I bought and fit a Topeak Super Tourist DX on it. Fitted like a dream. It also acts as a mudguard so you would only need to find a front one. Halfords are selling the DX for £20, just reserve online and collect in store.

:smile:

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

excellent I've got a halfords by me so can pick one up tomorrow, cheers

Nath, I just read your post properly and realised you said Surrey Quays, that is where I got my one from also!
Well Lakeside is my local store but Surrey Quays was the one with the stock of 61cm sizes.

I know what you mean about the staff at SQ, there was one english guy and one french guy when I was there, I got a bit of a cold shoulder from the english fella, french guy seemed alright though. But the staff in Lakeside seem a lot more interested in what you are asking.

subaqua

What’s the point
Nath, I just read your post properly and realised you said Surrey Quays, that is where I got my one from also!
Well Lakeside is my local store but Surrey Quays was the one with the stock of 61cm sizes.

I know what you mean about the staff at SQ, there was one english guy and one french guy when I was there, I got a bit of a cold shoulder from the english fella, french guy seemed alright though. But the staff in Lakeside seem a lot more interested in what you are asking.
tharts my experience.

can be summed up as surrey quays not great at being helpful but have great cafe , Lakeside great staff no Cafe.

Fubar

Guru
Interesting stuff, I had a look at this bike tonight in Decathlon Edinburgh - was actually looking at the £500 Triban 5 and the "expert" pointed out the £300 Triban 3. I'm doing Caledonia Etape in May so looking for something for training, sportive but also occassional commuting, still a bit of a beginner though so this looks a good option. At 5'5" any idea what frame size would suit me best?

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

Interesting stuff, I had a look at this bike tonight in Decathlon Edinburgh - was actually looking at the £500 Triban 5 and the "expert" pointed out the £300 Triban 3. I'm doing Caledonia Etape in May so looking for something for training, sportive but also occassional commuting, still a bit of a beginner though so this looks a good option. At 5'5" any idea what frame size would suit me best?

Well I am 6' 3" and I got the 60cm frame. I think I should have got the next size up even.

But they have a good policy there, you can try the bike up and down the isles to get a rough idea of size.
Maybe you could start with the 54cm size and go from there.

I've just had a look on their website and checked the stock levels, doesn't seem to be much in stock at the moment though.

Fubar

Guru
Hi, took the plunge and bought a 54cm Triban 3 on Saturday - must say despite my initial reservations I was impressed with Decathlon's customer service - nothing seemed too much trouble. Maybe only 'cos it's a new store, though perhaps that's an injustice.

Also got an Elite turbo-trainer and so far only been on the bike in the kitchen - much better than my old MTB, and I couldn't believe the weight difference having them side by side! Thanks for the posts Monkspeed, very helpful.

Edwards80

Über Member
Hello, Just thought I would add my 2 pennies worth as I bought a Triban 3 at Christmas (well, the wife did :smile: ) as my 1st road bike. I bought it just for commuting but I'm now considering joining a club and doing some sportives etc. as I'm enjoying the bike so much.

I have fitted it with a pannier rack and strapped some Zefal Swan/Croozer mudguards to it to keep some of the muck off. The pedals are ok - getting my feet into the clips is 2nd nature now but I am going to make the change to clipless pedals soonish.

It's held up to one fall in the ice and a few inevitable potholes (which isn't nice with a heavy pannier bag) with no ill effects - so the wheels are strong, if a little heavy. It's as light as a feather compared to the MTB I was commuting on though :ohmy: I'm 6ft and bought the 60cm version, feels comfortable.

Very very pleased with it, great value for money.

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

Hi, took the plunge and bought a 54cm Triban 3 on Saturday - must say despite my initial reservations I was impressed with Decathlon's customer service - nothing seemed too much trouble. Maybe only 'cos it's a new store, though perhaps that's an injustice.

Also got an Elite turbo-trainer and so far only been on the bike in the kitchen - much better than my old MTB, and I couldn't believe the weight difference having them side by side! Thanks for the posts Monkspeed, very helpful.

I'm glad I could help.
:smile:

Doug.

Veteran
According to the bikeputer I've done about 57km total now, 18 of that was on a bike track, so 39km on our lovely pot hole filled roads, and it seems to be doing well. The gear change is a little sluggish sometimes.

A few weeks prior to purchasing the Triban 3, I used a Giant SCR 2.0 and a Scott Speedster S on hire whilst at the bike track, it compares quite well considering their price differences! Those bikes felt a bit more efficient and had smoother gear changes though.

So far I am very happy with my purchase. :biggrin:
Monkspeed.
Very nice cycle and I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyable use from it.
Enjoyed looking at the photo's,sure they will enable some else to make a similar selection.
In my experience Decathlon make very good value bikes.
(Too be honest I have just started visiting their shop,very impressed)
I have enough road bikes but recently bought a Decathlon mountain bike for winter riding etc,delighted with it.

Yours
Doug.
I also bought their own brand cycle computer,splendid and even for me not too difficult to set up.

Top Bottom