PlanetX - calls in the administrators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We do it for our mail order website. If people look at an item or put an item in the basket and not buy, then they get a reminder email. You can set the time limit for when it's sent or to turn it off so they dont receive.
It's nothing to do with cookie tracking and certainly not sinister. It's called marketing and you'll be surprised at how often it does generate a sale.

I only suggested it was sinister if one wasn't logged into the site. My knowledge is very limited but I assume a website only knows my email if I'm logged in while browsing and while I'm not interested in receiving the email it doesn't bother me if one is sent.

Presumably you'd agree if a website knows my email without me logging in then some underhand or malicious activity is taking place?

As an aside the only action it stimulates from me is to pop back and clear the basket. I'm probably an acception as my routine practice is to delete, usually unread, all unsolicited email.

Jameshow

Veteran
I have sometimes looked at new bikes thinking . "Ooh! That looks nice and shiny . I wonder how much it is ?"
£10,000 !
A bit of a shock!
You would then have to go out and buy all the cycle gear to go with it as you would look silly riding it in jeans and trainers . I thought cycling was supposed to be cheap? :wacko:

It's the weight that gets me, some £10k road bikes are knocking on 8kg!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Presumably you'd agree if a website knows my email without me logging in then some underhand or malicious activity is taking place?
Indeed. Underhand and certainly illegal marketing but not sinister or creepy.
Sales websites keep a record of everyone's email, even if you've unticked that no email marketing box or youre not even logged in. A company can quite simply untick that box to continue to send you mail.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I only suggested it was sinister if one wasn't logged into the site. My knowledge is very limited but I assume a website only knows my email if I'm logged in while browsing and while I'm not interested in receiving the email it doesn't bother me if one is sent.

As an aside the only action it stimulates from me is to pop back and clear the basket. I'm probably an acception as my routine practice is to delete, usually unread, all unsolicited email.

Some sites like fleabay use cookies and other methods to track users even when logged out.

Mike_P

Guru
Some sites like fleabay use cookies and other methods to track users even when logged out.

Equally some sites auto log you in from the cookie data. Clearing cookies is a good idea until you find you cannot log in; having that trouble with O2 whose password reset refuses to work and asks me to contact online customer services but you need to log in to do that:banghead:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was not logged in to Planet X and I had not put anything in a shopping basket, but I had gone to the site via one of their emails so they had clearly dropped a cookie based on the unique URL in that to log who I was.

I agree that it would be useful to get a reminder that something left in a site's shopping basket had not yet been purchased. What I objected to was them checking what I was looking at and being pushy about me buying it. It is like real life shops where you are pounced on by pushy assistants asking if they can help after you have only been there a couple of minutes. If I want help, I will ask for it!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Mod Note:
Thread locked until the OT posts are removed.
... After my dinner ^_^

Imagine sitting around the table in a pub discussing random stuff as grown ups do when so one with clipboard wanders over and says " this is the talking about a business table , if you want to talk about cars you have to go and sit at the special talking about cars table.......

Honestly I'd laugh if it didn't make me so sad.

D

Deleted member 1258

Imagine sitting around the table in a pub discussing random stuff as grown ups do when so one with clipboard wanders over and says " this is the talking about a business table , if you want to talk about cars you have to go and sit at the special talking about cars table.......

Honestly I'd laugh if it didn't make me so sad.

Now your going off topic again.

Alex321

Veteran
I have sometimes looked at new bikes thinking . "Ooh! That looks nice and shiny . I wonder how much it is ?"
£10,000 !
A bit of a shock!
You would then have to go out and buy all the cycle gear to go with it as you would look silly riding it in jeans and trainers . I thought cycling was supposed to be cheap? :wacko:

Like most hobbies, it costs what you are prepared to pay. But in most cases, the more enthusiastic participants will get more out of it from better equipment - up to a certain point.

£10K bikes are only really noticeably better for those who are at a fairly serious competitive level - but of course some want (and can afford) "the best" even if they don't need it. And if that is what they enjoy, why not?

Others seem to take a perverse pride in paying virtually nothing, only buying second-hand and doing bikes up for as little as they can.

Most of us fall somewhere between those two stools. While there will be people on here who have never spent more than £3400 ona bike, and others who will have that £10K bike, I would expect the majority of us on this site to have a "main" bike which cost somewhere between £1200 and £3000. And that we expect to last us for quite a few years.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Like with every hobby - cycling is full of people that will tell others how they should enjoy it. There are many 'high budget' cyclists that look down on people getting used bargains. Equally, there are about as many 'low budget' cyclists that will look down on the other group. I personally don't give a toss whether your bike cost £100, £1.000, or £10.000. Do what you please with your own money.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Most of us fall somewhere between those two stools. While there will be people on here who have never spent more than £3400 ona bike, and others who will have that £10K bike, I would expect the majority of us on this site to have a "main" bike which cost somewhere between £1200 and £3000. And that we expect to last us for quite a few years.

I couldn't dream of spending anywhere near that amount

Top Bottom